21700 cell batteries don't fit on tools

Biggie

So over the last year I've picked up a few dewalt 6.0xr batteries and found that if you have a belt clip on the tool they didn't really fit and you had to bend the clip a little to get it to go.  This was a slight annoyance but they worked well now this last week I got my first m18 6.0 batteries with the 21700 cells and the belt clips on the milwaukees can't easily be bent.  I'm sure there are those of you who take the belt clips off and throw them away and there was a time I thought they were gimmicky.  But for assembling things out in the field I find them really convenient and pretty much have them on all of my tools and I don't think I've ever taken one off  because it was in the way of a space i needed to get into.

I don't want to see battery technology slow down on account of a belt clip, its just a little annoying to have battery compatibility issues.  For the most part its not an issue with the 6.0 batteries because they typically get used on bigger tools that don't have belt clips.  The other thing that's disappointing to me is i was looking forward to the 3.0 and 4.0 slim packs for my impacts and drills but I can see that not going to work with my tools as they are.  I'm sure in time they will modify the belt clips but to retro fit all of my current clips would probably be a couple hundred dollars which just kind of sucks.

Nice to know they've started to correct this issue.  Still doesn't help my current situation though.  

Out of all the tool companies I think Milwaukee is the best with this, they eat their woods that all their batteries fit all their tools, when the 9.0 came out this authorized fixes for a few tools like lights it wouldn’t fit in, good on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Nice to know they've started to correct this issue.  Still doesn't help my current situation though.  

All models sold for over a year have had the new clips.

issue has been corrected,  past tense. If you need a new clip try ereplacementparts.com or eBay. 

sure in time they will modify the belt clips but to retro fit all of my current clips would probably be a couple hundred dollars which just kind of sucks.

I bought ten clips with screws for five bucks on OfferUp 

When Flexvolt just came out I got the drill/impact kit that came with the 2/6 battery. The belt clip rubbed against the battery. It was a tight enough fit to scratch the plastic. I would imagine if I had the bigger battery housing that is used for the 3/9 and 4/12 batteries that the batteries wouldn't even fit. I took my clips off and haven't used them since. I wouldn't mind using the clips again but I don't use a tool belt often so hanging the tool isn't needed.

You are correct, dcb609 and dcb612 have the same profile as the dcb230. New clips solve this issue. 

After I get out of this appt I’ll add a link so y’all can update gear if needed. 

Heres five for $20 on eBay. Notice the bend in the clip midway? Fits new batteries 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-Genuine-DeWALT-Belt-Clip-Hook-20V-Drill-Driver-N268241-N169778/281679695773?hash=item41956b0f9d:g:LO4AAOSwFHZavSiR

• Like 1

Well I did a little more checking and indeed my m18 gen 3 drill and impact do have the new clips that the batteries fit.  I just happened to have a surge sitting in my office and when the batteries didn't fit on there I checked with on a really old impact I have with the clip made out of round rod and that didn't fit.  I guess I never noticed the new tools being different.  The reason I said started is because there are still plenty of new tools out there being sold that still have the old style clip.  I actually received a brand new in box mid torque impact wrench from milwaukees e-service acouple months ago and it still has the old clip.  I probably over exaggerated the cost of replacement clips a little but between dewalt and milwaukee I probably have about 30 clips to replace and I was thinking an average of $5 a clip.