Milwaukee M18 drill chuck

Gyras

I love the Milwaukee M18 drill. It works awsome and just runs like a race horse. My biggest complain is the chuck, it sucks. My biggest issue is that it backs off for no reason. I saw on AVE that he replaced it with a keyed chuck but he didn't say where he got it. Does anyone know of a good replacement for this terrible chuck that they put on it?

It depends a little on which model you have.  Most drills have a pretty standard thread size but for sure the fuel gen 2 and gen 3 have a different thread size than normal, (not sure about gen 1).  I know there is a thread somewhere on here discussing a rohm chuck for the fuel drill and I think they make one but it's not real common so it's hard to find.  

The fuel gen 3 chuck was redesigned and can be found on ebay or ereplacementparts.com for around $40.  I have a gen 2 fuel that I put a gen 3 chuck on as well as a gen 3 drill.  I would say the new chuck seem to be better but they're still pretty new so time will tell.  

There is another thread covering this in detail. If I have the right Milwaukee, the thread was not the usual 1/2-20 but Rhom brought out a keyless chuck in the correct thread. You have to first find out what you have. The other thread should clear that up. No pun intended.Then go chuck shopping. If it is 1/2-20 you have more options in keyed and keyless. Rhom is still excellent. Jacobs is owned by Apex and now made in China. There are still some USA's floating around on ebay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I've heard this a lot.  The brushless compact drill we've been using at the flipper house seems decent, as does my M12, but I honestly haven't used my other Milwaukee drills enough to comment on their chucks.