"Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers" on every Greenworks product

Hello,

I noticed that every greenworks tool I come across on Amazon has this warning message

WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

It is also present on their official US site with even less information.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-tool/mowers/21-inch-self-propelled-brushless-lawn-mower

And at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenworks-20-Inch-40V-G-MAX-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-2-in-1-Twin-Force-Lawn-Mower-Batteries-Included-25302/37468338

But I could not find any detail or explanation, does anyone know more?

I would say it would be due to the battery pack and their lawyers getting together to protect against lawsuits.

Take away the Li-Ion pack and one would be hard pressed to find anything really hazardous. Actually I believe I have seen that with other mower manufactures.

The Prop 65 stuff is ridiculous. I recently bought a fishing tackle bag that had the warning on it and wondered WTF? Their logic is that most people will put some sort of lead weights in the bag, and we know that lead exposure can cause cancer. 

How stupid is that? That’s like an extension cord having a carbon monoxide warning because you might plug it into a generator inside your garage. 

California is basically the textbook example of the boy who cried wolf. 

17 hours ago, Jpgwoodworking said:

The Prop 65 stuff is ridiculous. I recently bought a fishing tackle bag that had the warning on it and wondered WTF? Their logic is that most people will put some sort of lead weights in the bag, and we know that lead exposure can cause cancer. 

How stupid is that? That’s like an extension cord having a carbon monoxide warning because you might plug it into a generator inside your garage. 

California is basically the textbook example of the boy who cried wolf. 

Also if a tool contains a material that has been linked to cause cancer when that material is smoked in high doses, there's your warning.

The worst part of all of it, some times the claims are real, sometimes they're real but under outlandish circumstances, sometimes they're based on studies with a small sample group and no REAL scientific evidence that supports the claim.

California is pseudo science capital of the world, and that's pretty crazy considering some countries' cultures claim rhino horn, ground up mummies, vomit of sperm whales and other wacko stuff as aphrodisiacs