Dewalt 20V Max String Trimmer DCST920-Change the string?

Hello,

I have a Dewalt 20V Max String Trimmer DCST920 and I think something got jammed in the trimmer head. I have attached some photos of the head, as it is slightly different than the one I see online a lot. I removed all of the string but the spool inside the head casing will not make a full rotation. It stops at about a quarter turn in either direction and will not rotate any further. The head unit will make full rotation without any trouble. With the spool not rotating, I'm not able to load any new line. This trimmer is less than a year old and has not been heavily used. I would appreciate any guidance you could give me.

Thank you,

Eric

dewalt-dcst920-6.jpg

dewalt-dcst920-1.jpg

dewalt-dcst920-2.jpg

dewalt-dcst920-3.jpg

dewalt-dcst920-4.jpg

dewalt-dcst920-5.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same issue with my 60 volt, I couldn’t figure out how to load it, so I looked it up on YouTube.

They all looked different!

Mine looks just like yours.

I did figure out a way to load it:

Align all the holes. You should see all the way through the head.

Stick a three foot piece of string through the hole and center it .

Rotate the head so the head retracts the string. Leave just a couple inches out.

Start the trimmer and bump the head. If it works as it should, you have wound it correctly.(iDK if you can only wind it one way or if I got lucky, but I did it correctly the first time)

Replace the small piece with a 10’ piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply! I'm going to give it a try. I'll let you know what happens.

I have that strummer in your last photo do you see the notch in the guard you put a screwdriver in that and slide it in to a hole you line up to lock the head then you undo the head by hand it might be left hand thread like a Moyer saw blade I think but it’s easy to do

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am currently playing with the same problem on a recently acquired DCST970 (60v). after first use I found that the circularlower part of the spool head (facing upward and not downward) would not move, or just slightly.  Turned out to be large piece of grass or root that got trapped between the lower spool section and the spool mount. Pulled the root/grass loose and the rotation problem disappeared.

Now I need to figure out if I may be misthreading the cutting line through a separate, 1.5" +/- circular center piece underneath the spool head (or bottom) if looking from the top.  There is circular channel that passes through the piece that seem to be a natural fit for the cutting line, but doing so seems to impede the bump feed function.  haven't found an answer to that question yet, but working on it.

• 2 months later...

I have owned quite a few weed wackers in my day . The process to change the string has  to be the dumbest design ever invented . 

The engineer should not even be allowed to go to his desk to retrieve his things . He should be thrown out the door into the alley beside the building .

other than that the weed wicket works nice ..... just have to set a side a couple hours every month to change string .

Chris

• 10 months later...
On 5/13/2019 at 9:13 PM, Mordekyle said:

I had the same issue with my 60 volt, I couldn’t figure out how to load it, so I looked it up on YouTube.

They all looked different!

Mine looks just like yours.

I did figure out a way to load it:

Align all the holes. You should see all the way through the head.

Stick a three foot piece of string through the hole and center it .

Rotate the head so the head retracts the string. Leave just a couple inches out.

Start the trimmer and bump the head. If it works as it should, you have wound it correctly.(iDK if you can only wind it one way or if I got lucky, but I did it correctly the first time)

Replace the small piece with a 10’ piece.

ok so what is the small piece that you’re replacing with a 10’? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's fairly easy to load these trimmers with string. Turn the trimmer upside down. At the indentations remove the head cover & pull out any string that may be still in there. Now line the holes on the sides up with the center of the head. You should be able to see straight thru! Now thread 20 - 25 feet of string through the holes. you want to stop when you are halfway. Grab the two cut ends and be sure they are even. Now for the cool part...hold on to the outer ring at the base of the head and start turning the taller part counter clockwise. It may seem a little hard to turn at times but it will. It winds itself in minutes. Stop when you have about 5" sticking out each side. If they aren't even you can just cut the excess off. Replace the cap and be sure it clicks onto the head. And there it is, done! If a woman can do this, so can you!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have the same weed wackier and winding the string is a challeng but I can do it. My issue is that after I have wound the string and want to advance by bumping the head, the string does not advance. SUCH A PAIN!  I have to take the cap off and pull out string every time I need more. Any tips on this????

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 4:47 AM, Lynn said:

I have the same weed wackier and winding the string is a challeng but I can do it. My issue is that after I have wound the string and want to advance by bumping the head, the string does not advance. SUCH A PAIN!  I have to take the cap off and pull out string every time I need more. Any tips on this????

I have the same problem. This thing is driving me nuts. After a few seconds of cutting the strings jumps back into the head and I can't get it out. I have to stop, undo it, pull it out and cut again. I'm ready for a new trimmer unless I can somehow fix this. 

I also have a 20V DCST920 and it’s the best trimmer I have used. However the thin bump cover is worn and broke, and cannot find a replacement anywhere. I assume the DWO1DT995 replacement head is for the newer models. Otherwise if the cap is the same I will buy the head and throw the rest away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...