DeWalt 20v Mower

Moze

I scored this off 5miles for $230. Super happy with it.

I've seen lots of differing opinions on this mower. Some have made it sound like it's a piece of junk....namely the ridiculous video Dirt Monkey did calling it '1st place for the worst mower of the year' while proceeding to run it in mulching mode through deep, wet grass. Ok, news flash - pretty sure DeWalt didn't intend it to perform in heavy wet grass. It's not a head-to-head competitor for gas mowers. It's advertised as 'perfect for properties up to 1/4 acre'. Common sense would also indicate that since it's battery powered, that 1/4 acre wouldn't be comprised of high wet grass. 

Dan and Eric noted how run time sucked with the 5ah batteries. I definitely believe that. With the Flexvolt batteries though, it's great. I ran it with the 9ah Flexvolt batteries and was able to mow my entire yard with juice to spare. I then took those same two batteries out of the mower and put one in the new Flexvolt blower and the other in the 20v trimmer and was able to trim, edge and blow everything and still had juice left. 

So does this thing suck? With the 5ah batteries, yeah, the RUN TIME probably does. With the 9ah though, it's great. I have about 10 Flexvolt batteries and after reading/watching the "horror stories", I figured I'd be going through all of my batteries. Pretty happy that one pair gave me enough juice to mow, trim, edge and blow. 

The cut quality is also very good. I have thick St. Augustine grass and it cut great. 

The mower is also very light, even with the steel deck. 

Bottom line, I love this thing and am completely happy with it.

20190518_133147_HDR.jpg

20190518_194010_HDR.jpg

20190522_150657_HDR.jpg

20190523_112241_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Apples to oranges, I know, but I have the Ego mower.  If the grass is wet it sucks, stalling quite a bit.  With dry grass it drives on in mulching mode.  I was looking at DeWalt 20v or even 40v but for better or worse reviews and pricing got me into Ego instead.

21 hours ago, 77Ford said:

Nice to know. Sweet setup 

Thanks! 

14 hours ago, Bremon said:

I have the mower as well. No complaints with 9.0s and dirt monkeys video was worthless. Like swathing a field with a mower. 

Completely agree! 

3 hours ago, fm2176 said:

Apples to oranges, I know, but I have the Ego mower.  If the grass is wet it sucks, stalling quite a bit.  With dry grass it drives on in mulching mode.  I was looking at DeWalt 20v or even 40v but for better or worse reviews and pricing got me into Ego instead.

Yeah, they just don't have the torque of a gas mower so they're definitely going to struggle with wet grass. But under normal conditions, they're pretty great. 

Agreed.  I use mine with the 9's.  It should just come with those as far as I am concerned.  The only complaint I have now is I think the cable will eventually go.  The placement makes it prone to getting pinched when folding the handlebar.  When i fold and unfold I am extra careful.  My son on the other hand who now cuts most of the time is not so careful.  I keep telling him and he remembers for a week and then the next week I happen to look at the mower and see the cable pinched again.  I guess I need to rig something up to permanently keep it out of the way.  

• 2 years later...

Hey fellas I just bought the mower and my grass had gotten out of hand and it was a little taller than it needed to be and my mower bogged and when I released the handle the motor wouldn't ever re-engage even tho the lights light up like it's about to engage it just doesn't and tips?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 6:39 AM, Patriot77 said:

Hey fellas I just bought the mower and my grass had gotten out of hand and it was a little taller than it needed to be and my mower bogged and when I released the handle the motor wouldn't ever re-engage even tho the lights light up like it's about to engage it just doesn't and tips?