1/2 Torque Wrench - Icon or Quinn digital -

1DefAlpha

Thank you.  I am a DIY work on my own and my family's car.  I'm not a professional, just a guy like the hobby and want to learn more about fixing cars. 

I am looking at 1/2 Icon and Quinn digital torque wrench, is there any benefit going digital than the traditional twisting type?

As far as digital it holds its calibration better but still just a click type. The most accurate torque wrenches are the bending beam types but they’re awkward to use. Another good alternative though by far for automotive is a torque stick. You just use them like an extension on a medium torque impact wrench and stop when the socket stops turning. This is what most auto techs use on lug nuts. All digital and click type mechanical torque wrenches should be calibrated about every 1000 uses. We have both cheap and expensive ones in our assembly shop and the price doesn’t make much difference.

Beyond that head on over to boltscience.com and start reading. Also IAEA magazine.

What you will quickly find out that’s sort of obvious is essentially measuring torque is the wrong thing and not an accurate measurement of fastener tightness but it’s one way to get more consistent results, along with thread lubricant like Never-Seez and making sure that the bolt fills the hole as tightly as possible, no more 1/4-20s in a 1/2” hole. And to just toss any and all helical spring washers aka split washers aka although completely incorrectly “lock” washers and avoid them completely in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...