midogrumpy

9 hours ago, midogrumpy said:

hi

there is a parallel thread on Dewalt ATOMIC

also showing a video on DCS571 circ. saw

DCS571

I wanted to start an individual thread on some of the new tools coming

there was several posts some time back;

does anyone know of a release date / when will it hit the stores ??

Dewalt-Atomic-Cordless-Circular-Saw-DCS571.jpg

ITs in stock right now at the Home Depot stores in DFW.

I bought it to use on an LP siding job, two story house.

I wanted it to trim the lap siding to length around windows and make butt cuts, and I wanted the belt hook feature.

Pro-
Plenty of power. Surprising amount of torque with a 20v battery. The ability to carry it on the belt is handy. Tough enough to fall off the scaffold. Blade left makes it easy to see what you are cutting.671a3f43176057e5ff8239bbc677335c.jpg

Con-
Because your hard is so far back, it’s a bit hard to control with one hand. Even using a level as a fence for a rip, the saw wandered to the right, away from the fence.

I also used it on a fence, to cut boards down in height. It wasn’t much help there, as the 4 1/2” blade can only cut two boards at a time.

In sum-

A regular circular saw following a straight edge is better at cutting sheet goods. it offers more control.

A fence/rip guide for your saw is certainly more affordable than the atomic. You could do wider rips, as the Atomic has a small shoe and rip guide.

The Atomic has Plenty of power for cutting siding or trim boards on a roof, scaffold, or ladder.it could be handy there. It would be handy for cutting in vent holes on a roof.

If you’re looking for a first cordless saw, go with a standard 6 1/2 or 7 1/4. Better capacity and control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mordekyle said:

I bought it to use on an LP siding job, two story house.

I wanted it to trim the lap siding to length around windows and make butt cuts, and I wanted the belt hook feature.

Pro-
Plenty of power. Surprising amount of torque with a 20v battery. The ability to carry it on the belt is handy. Tough enough to fall off the scaffold. Blade left makes it easy to see what you are cutting.671a3f43176057e5ff8239bbc677335c.jpg

Con-
Because your hard is so far back, it’s a bit hard to control with one hand. Even using a level as a fence for a rip, the saw wandered to the right, away from the fence.

I also used it on a fence, to cut boards down in height. It wasn’t much help there, as the 4 1/2” blade can only cut two boards at a time.

In sum-

A regular circular saw following a straight edge is better at cutting sheet goods. it offers more control.

A fence/rip guide for your saw is certainly more affordable than the atomic. You could do wider rips, as the Atomic has a small shoe and rip guide.

The Atomic has Plenty of power for cutting siding or trim boards on a roof, scaffold, or ladder.it could be handy there. It would be handy for cutting in vent holes on a roof.

If you’re looking for a first cordless saw, go with a standard 6 1/2 or 7 1/4. Better capacity and control.

Great feedback, I assume you are recommending it?

I am of the mindset it would be nice to have one for just that, trimming siding, small plunge cuts thru a board or two.  Small repairs, maybe a patch, or some trim.  Plunge cuts that are too small for a regular circular saw, but where you cant start a cut on a jig saw, and a multi tool might not be enough.

Do you think it fits this space?  I have been leaning towards getting one.

I’m not a big fan.

It takes some getting used to, ergonomically.

When I peel off old siding, I follow a piece horizontally, using it as a guide to rip the board in half. Oscillating tool finishes the cuts at the ends. Then I work downward, pulling boards off.

Making the long rip was awkward. Even with the shoe riding the bottom of a course of siding, it wandered all over. Same thing when I ripped a fence board. Part of it is the handle all the way at the back. Another part is only 2 inches of blade makes for a small straight edge compared to 5” or so.

It takes some getting used to, for sure.

I don’t know that it will do anything the 6 1/2 circular saw won’t do.

The belt hook is it’s best feature.

It might be useful cutting in skylights or vents on a roof. Handy when sheeting a roof. It might be handy for retrofitting second story windows, cutting back T1-11 and aluminum nail fins.

If you have to make a lot of cuts while on a ladder or a steep roof, this might be a good bet. If not, ....

• Like 1

It worked all right repairing subkloor/underlayment in a bathroom yesterday. I hooked it up to a dust extractor to control the sawdust.

I think it would also be handy for tile guys. With a concrete cutting blade, You could cut wonder board as well as tile. The dust collection would be very nice.

I bought it to use for when we do insulated siding and hardy and such. It is great for those things as its small and has belt hook. However it is not balanced very well and takes getting used to to use it one  handed. It does cut well but I think it could have been thought out better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...