Need a bit to drill thru 1/8" steel with a 18 volt drill

Lelan

Picked up some 1/8" steel to make some motor mount plates today. Now I'm in need of a strong bit https://mechanicfaq.com/drill-bits-for-hardened-steel/ that will drill through 1/8" steel with ease using a 18 volt drill. I started using some Titanium coated Dewalt bits and they didnt work very well.

What bit/s should I pick up tomorrow at Home Depot/Lowes that can tackle this little project.

I'm looking for something I can pick up in store; hoping to have the motor in this weekend.

Thanks in advance!

What dia drill? Use 118 deg tip, not 135. Thin metal, clamp a block of alum or hard wood, plastic on backside if u can. Higher speed, n cutting oil. 

Also helps to take a punch to start the hole to prevent the bit from walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 mistake: buying TiN. This is a coating that can slightly improve cutting speeds on good quality bits until it wears off. But it will also make a cheap junk bit a pretty gold color. That is what you purchased.

Get on Amazon. Search for jobber length drill index. This will get you into some high quality American made high speed steel bits: they will not be pretty gold. An index up to 1/2” will set you back $100. Which is about the same price as buying pretty junk Dewalt sets at Lowe’s.

Next step is to Google drill speeds. Chances are your drill meant for wood where there is almost no upper limit on speed is way too fast. Slow down to the correct speed and let the bit take metal at its intended speed. If you get it right it can break your wrist with an 18 V drill on larger bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 5 months later...