X-lock grinder, will they catch on?

Biggie

Just wondering what other people's opinion is about Bosch's X-lock grinder and accessories.  My initial thought is why complicate something that already works.  But I'm sure at one time the same thing was said about starlock on multitools. 

I guess the biggest thing I don't get is the vast majority of people using grinders never touch a spanner wrench and they just tighten disks by hand.  So the idea that it takes a long time to change a disk because you're always searching for the spanner wrench is kind of a myth. The other concern I would have for them is until they're universally accepted (which could take years or never happen) you're limited to only bosch accessories with the x-lock.  I'm not really saying it's a bad thing, I just can't see it as a big enough improvement to take off but maybe I'm wrong.

I think it’s dead on arrival. Blades in grinders are high wear. It’s normal to go through at least a couple blades per job. I’ve tried the diamond blades and they were disappointing. Quick change and low cost rule. I will pay for performance so I don’t buy the cheapest wheels. Maybe if they came up with something like a Morse taper or SDS for welders but this is backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starlock has yet to catch on. You're still limited to Bosch, Fein, and Festool. While it may be superior than Universal Fitment most guys just buy the el cheapos on Amazon, HD, or wherever which are most likely Universal Fitment. They maybe have never used the more expensive/higher performing blades, but they probably never will. Everything is about the price tag now days. X lock may be superior to wrenches but the added cost isn't really worth it unless you go through multiple wheels a day. I would like both to catch on like how SDS caught on. I'm sure SDS didn't replace spline or jaw chucks overnight. It probably took time. Bosch likes to innovate in how accessories are attached and guys just don't want to change. If Bosch allowed the biggest yellow and red tool companies to adopt X lock and Starlock without having to pay anything I think they would take over rather quickly.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, Biggie said:

My bad... I've never used a multitool and the little bit I've read here in the forum I thought they were more common.  I guess I should have used the SDS as a better example of one that is now industry standard.

At least in my opinion and in my area I don't think Starlock has caught on. Maybe it has in other areas. I wish it did but it hasn't. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just about every blade brand you buy locally here is universal and fits star lock. There is one brand that doesn't fit unless you drill the main mounting hole out a few mm larger, otherwise all others fit. I can see why quick fit on multitools was popular but I also doubt x lock will catch on, even though it looks cool.

• 4 weeks later...

There was an attempt at something similar to x lock that used sds naming but it did not do well. All I can find is SDS clic but I'm not sure if that was it. Uses a different kind of flange nut. I can't remember where I heard about this previous attempt. Was probably a video somewhere.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just came across this forum, figure i'd sign up and give it a try.

I think x-lock works slick, can't say for sure if they will catch on but I like the idea. Bosch invented a few quick change tools/accessories that have been adapted pretty universally. Both SDS and T-shank jigsaws have become the normal, both invented by Bosch. For OSC Starlock hasn't taken over, but I think because the universal type is lower priced and just as easy of a setup. (VHS vs Betamax) I believe the X-Lock blades can be used in a standard grinder still, providing the costs aren't much different I can see retailers changing out and just stocking X-lock accessories since they will work with both. 

I suppose we will see what happens.