Reciprocating Saw Variable Speed Dial NOT Trigger

CarStereoGuy

Hi All,

I desperately searched around for tool review sites, option choices based on use, etc and became very frustrated to find that it seems like almost ALL of the reciprocating saws with variable speed are trigger based variable speed only. 

I would like to know if there is a reciprocating saw with the following features.

*Variable speed (0-3000 SPM good enough) by wheel or dial, NOT variable speed trigger.

*Current new model instead of old models not made anymore.

*1-1/8 stroke length

*Cordless/Lithium Battery Based. Smaller battery voltage and weight are more important to me than super powerful.

*Compact sized for tight spaces like in vehicles under dashes or under kitchen sink.

*Small enough to be used as a jigsaw too.

*Wobble 

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why variable speed triggers are so important that it seems that 90% of the market of reciprocating saws has this instead of a dial or wheel for precise, locked, max speed instead of the extremely variable trigger speed control with such a jumpy saw.

The material ranges I uses are from some types of sheet metals, some are types of plastics and woods, and all of them are sensitive to cutting speed of the blade needing to be precise and predictable to keep the tool from jumping too much during sawing, and the materials can actually burn/melt/splinter too much.

Thank you for any help you can provide or a place to look.

Sorry, I’ve only used variable speed triggers on my recips. Personally I like having control that way kind of like my jigsaw. I am normally able to control cuts with the trigger and more importantly the blade I am using. Hope someone can help you and welcome to the forums.

There are a few models with variable speed options but none of them are very compact and strange enough they seem to put it on the big powerful models. 

- milwaukee m18 2721-20 fuel sawzall with One-key has electronically programmable settings that you can actually customize for different applications.

-milwaukee m18 2722-20 fuel super sawzall has a dial to control speed as well as orbital settings.

-Bosch gsa18v-125n has a dial to control speed and it too has orbital action.

-bosch crs180 18v does have two speeds but it's just a lock mechanism that only allows the variable speed trigger to be pulled half way when it's in speed one.

While I don't think any of these really fit what you're looking for size wise, they do have more than just a variable speed trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Hikoki/Metabo HPT have 2 reciprocating saws with electronic speed selection as well as a variable trigger: the 18V (CR18DBL) and Multivolt 36V (CR36DA).

The Multivolt 36V has the following presets:

Speed 1: 0 - 1700spm
Speed 2: 0 - 2000spm
Speed 3: 0 - 2500spm
Speed 4: 0 - 3000spm

I own both of these saws and in my opinion the Multivolt 36V is the best saw on the market. The vibration control is extremely effective and there's also an orbital mode. No other saw has as many features. It's also more compact and weighs a lot less than the Milwaukee super sawzall.

Hikoki_CR36DA_J4Z.jpg