Framing gun

JMosher

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, AlexW32 said:

The reason I chose DeWALT was because they were the only brand offering a cordless framing nail gun (DCN692). Now it looks like they have a competitor.

When will Milwaukee start making lasers? The market is dominated by Bosh and DeWalt, we need more competition to drive the prices down.

Hitachi has an excellent 18 volt framing nailer that has treated me well, though I would love to get my hands on the Milwaukee when it arrives.  Part of the issue with Milwaukee was that I think they wanted to make sure it performed very well, and not just get one to market just to say they have one, I respect that.

• Like 1

Hitachi has an excellent 18 volt framing nailer that has treated me well, though I would love to get my hands on the Milwaukee when it arrives.  Part of the issue with Milwaukee was that I think they wanted to make sure it performed very well, and not just get one to market just to say they have one, I respect that.
I hope you're right about that!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m confused. Cordless “framing” nail gun? The market is 99% pneumatic for a reason. A few finish nails sure but for framing you’d never use an electric gun. Way too slow and charge limited. Maybe BC to frame out an electrical panel or minor plumbing rough in for stubs but it’s not really a framing nailer.

That’s like showing up to a crane job with a come along on an A frame and a crew of HD day laborers that don’t speak English instead of a crane and certified riggers. Sure it might get it done but it’s not the right tool for the job.

• Like 1

^^^^^

Plenty of room for cordless.

Dewalt framers are fast enough for most framing tasks. Deck framing, remodeling, Fence boards, roof sheeting, siding, fascia boards and trim.

You can shoot 2” siding nails as fast as you are accurate. Granted, 3” nails are slightly slower. You do have to reload more often, as the gun only fits one rack of nails (21*).

If your specialty is lots of wall framing or modular building using slave labor, pneumatic guns are the way to go.

For most everyone else, cordless framers are fast enough. No rolling out, no rolling up, and no hose getting tangled while you are rolling trusses.

For trim guns, speed is a non-issue.

For many, many (most) contractors, there is a lot more time to be saved through organization or processes than through waiting a cumulative 2 minutes per day for a gun to spool up.

It’s like complaining about waiting half a second between nails, but then having to make a “quick trip” to the hardware store to the tune of 30 minutes. Or even waiting two minutes for a porta-john while someone is in there. Or five minutes when somebody has to reset a breaker.

Digging through a pile of tools and materials in the back of the truck or trailer for five minutes?

That stuff happens every day, wasting more time than a cordless gun ever could.

Prior to pneumatic, it was 100% hand banging.

Pneumatic makes up a large percentage of nails being driven today because it’s more efficient than hand banging.

It doesn’t make up a large percentage of nails driven today because it’s more efficient than cordless, only because it precedes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:46 AM, paulengr said:

I’m confused. Cordless “framing” nail gun? The market is 99% pneumatic for a reason. A few finish nails sure but for framing you’d never use an electric gun. Way too slow and charge limited. Maybe BC to frame out an electrical panel or minor plumbing rough in for stubs but it’s not really a framing nailer.

That’s like showing up to a crane job with a come along on an A frame and a crew of HD day laborers that don’t speak English instead of a crane and certified riggers. Sure it might get it done but it’s not the right tool for the job.

As a remodeler I find them perfect for framing. Why drag out a compressor and hose plus a gun to frame out a wall, doorway of whatever framing job you have. Now would I frame a whole house with one? Probable not. 

• Like 1

There are many benefits to a cordless framing nailer. I have been using the DeWalt since Milwaukee has not released theirs yet and the last job we had resulted being up and down on a lift. Not having to drag a hose around made a huge difference. Used it most of the day before changing the first battery. In bump fire mode it shot nailed as fast as I needed it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 12:07 PM, John David Smith said:

I researched well and just publish the best quality cordless framing nailers reviews you can check my blog. Personally I recommend you BOSTITCH Framing Nailer for a better solution.
https://nailersnow.com/best-cordless-framing-nailer/

If anyone is serious about sticking with air pneumatic nail guns this is the company that builds serious nailers. Bostitch is just one of the many companies Stanley has destroyed.

https://www.maxusacorp.com/about-us-history/

On 12/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, OldDominionDIYer said:

On 12/28/2019 at 11:45 PM, reddawg60 said:

I hope you're right about that!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

In regards to Milwaukee, carpenters didn't have a piece of the pie, sure we use sawzalls and impact wrenches but they were more focused on electricians, plumbers, hvac & automotive. But even automotive had a smaller slice. Then we (carpenters) yelled out "what about us"? And Milwaukee heard and has been rolling out year after year, slowly but steadily. I'm confident that this framer will work very well, especially if it's anything like their 15g finish nailer. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had the Dewalt 20v 30° Framer for a good 5 years now and it can rapid fire just like the pneumatic milwaukee framer I use for bigger jobs. The dewalt 20v fires as fast as I can press the firing head in bump mode , easy 2 nails a second through sheathing or for 2x material I would throw a flexvolt battery on there. I just recently picked up a 21° magazine clip and modified it for 21° plastic collated nails. Still sinks in 3 1/4 ring shanks 12's no prob all day!

Screenshot_20200520-214731_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-214839_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-214924_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-214950_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1