Tough System 2.0

Jronman

DeWALT unveiled the Tough System 2.0 at STAFDA 2019. We already knew it was rumored to be coming but it was officially shown off. We are getting a ds150 equivalent, ds300 equivalent, and a ds450 equivalent at the launch. A ds400 and an organizer are coming later. Back when I saw prototype images I wasn't sure what was new besides looks but there has been quite a few improvements. The lid latches now have an automatically locking feature. It is as simple as setting a box on a 2.0 lid and it's already locked. The front latches also got an update. They look to be a hybrid of the 1.0 latches and Packout latches. The gen 2 boxes also have a spot for a label like you get with tstak. The 2.0 lids also have the ability to lock onto a new half width organizer. The organizer locks into a bracket on the center of the lid and the side latch. You can fit 2 half width organizers on one full width lid. The new organizers have updated bins inside which you can instal dividers in a bin for more customizable organization of small parts. 6 bins come in one organizer. I don't have any information on what will come with the ds150 equivalent. If it comes with bins I would like to see the updated organizer bins included instead of the old bins. I don't know if it has a lid tray or not. The lift out tray that normally comes with the 300, 400, and 450 have gotten a significant upgrade. They are now available in at least 2 sizes same length and width but different heights. They are stackable and lockable. They appear to have foam available for them as well. Normally they rest at the very bottom but tabs can be pulled out to allow a tray to rest on the upper part of the box like the 1.0 tray did. The 2.0 boxes have backwards compatibility with the 1.0 boxes but I am not sure how much backwards compatibility. I only saw the 2.0 stuff on top of the 1.0 stuff and did not see the 1.0 on top the 2.0. I also don't know if the new trays are compatible with the 1.0 boxes. I did not see 2.0 version of the drawer unit, cooler, full width organizer, and tote. I did not see an updated wall rack, van rack, or dolley but they are all compatible with 2.0 

• Like 3

These look interesting.  One problem I've had with mine is that the latches work loose when the boxes are jostled too much.  I used to live in a converted cotton mill where it was either drag my tools up and down about twenty stairs, or go twenty times the distance to deal with four steps.  I learned real quick that it was simpler to unstack the boxes and make multiple trips.  Hopefully the resigned latches are a bit more positive.

@fm2176 I found the gen 1 latches were inconsistent depending on which box you used. Some latches were way too easy to latch and others were a bear to try and latch. The original latch on the gen 1 were easier to latch than the updated version with the metal pin but they didn't hold as well. I think it is hard to tell the holding force on the gen 2 latches. The new latches have the spring loaded feature which may make for a weaker latch but the latches seem beefier which may make the latch stronger so it might be a wash.

• Like 1

The boxes stay stacked most of the time as long as the feet engage. Only time guy need the side latches is for transport so they don’t fiy. In practice in the back of a pickup as long as they’re loaded with tools they don’t move anyways. Only tube I had one get loose was 45 mph gusts at 70 mph with an empty tote not latched down,

The ds150 equivalent 2.0 box no longer has the lid tray. The lids in all the boxes have been thinned down. The box does has some new bins which are different than the ones in the half size organizer. There is one bin on each side instead of two and they now have a clear lid. The new tray system only comes in 2 sizes and sold separate from the boxes. Two of the small trays will equal the height of one large tray. The trays will also be available with or without a clear lid. It sounds like the new tray system won’t be a launch item.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the 3 piece with rolling cart, ds300, ds100, clear tough organizer and power supply. I thought about upgrading to all 2.0 but still     disappointed , thought they would add locks on the latches, metal handles/ side latches and locking bar like the Ridgid Pro Carts because I'm on my second set of rolling cart and ds300. I'm either going to get the DS Carrier Cart which will accept the rolling cart on backwards but wont lock in to the Carrier Cart with the locking hooks unless I modify one on the front, I think I will save the $60+ and go Ridgid 

I have the 3 piece with rolling cart, ds300, ds100, clear tough organizer and power supply. I thought about upgrading to all 2.0 but still     disappointed , thought they would add locks on the latches, metal handles/ side latches and locking bar like the Ridgid Pro Carts because I'm on my second set of rolling cart and ds300. I'm either going to get the DS Carrier Cart which will accept the rolling cart on backwards but wont lock in to the Carrier Cart with the locking hooks unless I modify one on the front, I think I will save the $60+ and go Ridgid 

Not sure about 2.0 but on 1.0 all the boxes have a hasp slot. Even if you buy a job box it has a slot for a hasp. I can’t imagine anything but those stupidly useless brief case locks coming built in. A padlock is far more secure and a bicycle/boat lock does the whole stack.

The DS carrier has a lock mechanism where you rotate a handle and put one lock on all of them. The rolling box is the only one that doesn’t lock. But you could buy the large non-rolling tool box and have one that latched and locks too.

Either way the only place I have ever seen where took theft is a problem on the work site during working hours is Detroit automotive plants especially Ford plant #1. If it’s not physically bolted down they steal it even if you turn your back for 30 seconds. Don’t go there with any tools you want and go back to job boxes. But I live in the South. We take care of that problem here. A thief would be lucky to only get fired. The guy he ribs might decide to punish the thief personally and the law would look the other way, We don’t tolerate that behavior here and that’s why it rarely goes on. I’ve had to overnight in hotels in Charlotte multiple times with an open bed truck, the Libtard sewer of the South, and never had anything stolen yet.

After hours or in the back of a truck use the bicycle chain and/or ratchet strap them down. Even latching them together. Locks are to keep honest people out. My grinder removes hardened padlocks in 2 minutes. A couple wrenches does the job in 15 seconds, quietly, and you can learn how on Youtube.. If your boxes are loose in the back of the truck where a thief can simply grab one while walking by they will especially in bad parts of the big cities. Country folk are afraid of being shot where there are no gun laws protecting the criminals. But if a thief is going to rob you on purpose no lock will even slow them down. That’s where the side latches or a ratchet strap are no better than a padlock.

ABS is just as strong as steel when done right and it doesn’t rust, and it gives more which you need on the side latches so I.don’t see an advantage: I’ve heard of guys ripping ears and handles off but unless you abuse them I haven’t had trouble. I have accidentally ripped the metal latches off by catching them on things with the latches open though so I don’t see where a metal latch improves this. You sound like you’re better off with job boxes if that’s an issue.

The top bins for 2.9 are the half width Tough Organizers. No separate “launch” needed. You can buy them today for $10-15 each.

I’m on the fence about 2.0. I keep 4 half width (lengthwise) Tough Organizers in my rolling bin now. The tray holds really long tools. The thing that I’m on the fence about is the lid bins depend on application. And they look like you lose space. The thing is almost every tool box comes with some tray system. Most of them are a dumb waste of space. The idea is frequently used tools. But that’s what an organizer system is for. In my rolling box everything is binned in Tough Organizers or bags (for compactness) now. The tray is mostly in the way if I use it. The 2.0 trays would be genuinely useful (or not) in this box. Just going by internet pictures at least.

In my drill box the top trays are a great feature and works wonderful but those are the split lid bins. Except when the tiny latches break which is way too easy to do. Then they are constantly falling down in the way. I think this is the DS130 case. I can keep all my drill bits other than actual drills and a large assortment of sheet metal screws in them where the bottom bins hold common screws like drywall screws and an entire set of hole saws and step drills. Losing the bins would be a step backwards.

In all my cases I use for parts storage I can never remember what’s in them and the fixed dividers just get in the way so not very functional. On my tool-oriented DS150s as opposed to the 130 they are too shallow for sockets and too short and tray slots too narrow for wrenches or long extensions so mostly they’re not very useful. I broke one tray so I want to just take it out but then the bins are loose and not locked in so I can’t. I’d be happy losing the tray completely. Not sure how the bins would work though without the a Tough Organizers holding them down or vice versa with the organizers in do you lose the bins? That would make the Packout bin boxes a clear superior product,

So I’m on the fence with 2.0. It’s like DS130 vs 150. One is vastly superior as a tool box which keeps the accessories handy. The other is an excellent organizer, better than big Red except useless top tray and no clear lid. The clear lid thing is useless anyways most of the time, When you need to know what’s in it is when it’s in the bottom of the stack! I have few issues because a paint pen fixes the clear lid issue, even stacked. The clear lid one is inferior to both. You can remove bins on the organizer or pack extra bins in the tool box but you really need both and it seemed like Dewalt was trying to kill off the organizer which is a bad idea.

Ridgid sucks. They don’t sell the boxes separate and the three boxes are so limited that even T Stak looks good.

Actually scratch that. You obviously do NOT own Toughsystem boxes or you would know about the latch system. As standalone stacking boxes the yellow ears on the sides lock them together, SAME as Ridgid, Milwaukee, and even Tough Orgsnizer boxes. As with the others they work very well if you don’t abuse them. If you do not use them and just stack the boxes they will dislodge occasionally in the back of the truck or going up/down stairs. So use as needed. The downside is it’s a stack. Remove all boxes on too to get to the one you need.

Where Tough Ststem stands out is in the racking system for workshops, vans, and the DS Carrier. This changes things considerably. The latches are actually the handles. Install a box on the arms by lifting the side handles and slide it on. The rolling cart is goofy. It goes on backwards AND blocks the box above it. Other than that one this changes the stack into drawers...each one is independent of the others. With the handles down there is a square protrusion that locks the handle onto the arms and the clearance between arms is so narrow they cannot shift and get loose but loose enough to be grab-and-go ready.

The DS Carrier has yet a third system. There is a locking bar that grabs the otherwise useless ears on the back of every box except the rolling one and can be padlocked.

So going back to building a separate lock system, why? I don’t see Dewalt eliminating any of these in 2.9 except maybe the metal clips for the DS lock. Personally I’d maybe make it an optional accessory if I was at SBD. Just put grooves on the box for locating it if you buy the clips. I’ll bet maybe 1% of owners have ever used it. I took them off. All they do is get caught on things. If someone is going to bother to steal a tool on the DS Carrier they will take the whole cart! Why stop with just one tool or box.

• 4 weeks later...

Some people get really defensive as if they took part in the development and making of these boxes and I did have these boxes a good year before anyone I knew. At the time I thought the boxes were great. I started with the compact sawzall with tough case for free with brushless drill/ impact set purchase back in 2015 or 16 at hd. Working out of 1 ripped tool bag over stuffed with everything got old so the stackable boxes were convenient but sometimes excessive. I also have the tough chest which has metal bars running along lid, would've liked to have seen something similar on tough system or compatible with one another. 20200419_123019.thumb.jpg.77d3d30a489c9fd54a3acb58c1aecd56.jpgOnce I compared certain features with other stackable boxes, and being how I was always very careful with these overpriced "structural foam" boxes and still had the collapsing handle snap, side clip attachment points at bottom of boxes break, metal latches just went missing, cracks, etc. I think these are trash, and 2.0 has a couple improvements but still now all plastic clasps . I worked with a guy that got the ds carrier because he liked the rolling cart with stack I had. The carrier itself weighs nothing but is tough af and the "one lock" locking hook feature is ok then you just chain up and lock the whole carrier, he picked up the 2 drawer tough box( its trash). He would lay the carrier with boxes down in open truck bed and chain it. Good thing for the waterproof seals. I kept bungee cords wrapped around stack once it started to fall apart and in my van, no room for van racks in my and most other work vans. Do you think dewalt will still have the lifetime limited warranty on the 2.0? I already replaced 2 boxes on warranty with rolling cart and ds300

Screenshot_20200419-111717_Chrome.jpg

20200419_121423.jpg

20200419_121220.jpg

Tough boxes and chest are full, but all this stays home safe lol, some still in boxes are recent exchanges for updated models. Most of these are on a as needed that day basis. Chest is full of retired and one time use that I'll probably never need again tools. Kinda slowly worked my way back into using over stuffed tool bags, then I'm trying to pack and hook everything that wont fit in the toolbelt and lanyards/harness.  I took all my hard cases out to condense my everyday tools in my work van (mostly all flexvolt, or dw brushless) I cross platform with dewalt 18v 18g and 16g nailers,(occasionally I'll break out the 20v guns for nice trim or light framing. I have the 18g brad,16g, 21°and 30° framer, 12" chop for crown and kitchens. See pic) ridgid 18v miter and vac,and random ryobi 18v (pinner, blower,wacker, inverter, spotlight, etc. so the extra chargers and batteries take up space with another tool bag. When I did have the tough boxes every day they'd have to be broken down flat when I loaded the van with lumber, plywood or drywall laid flat, if there was too many tools and materials already in the van to shift everything to one side so I could stand up sheets on edge. Then the tough boxes get banged up anyway between trying not to damage them, dw table saw, ridgid 18v miter saw, tools, levels and everything else. Cant win.  I did always purchase dewalt tools with the cases even prior to tough cases/ system (edit) and tstak, and had to question why they were similar but different sizes and not stackable? ...☆Yeah, decided to upgrade to 2.0 after all, wtf. Van's a mess but boxes look good. 2.0 Radio bumps, note: turn the bass down.

20200913_123255.jpg

Screenshot_20200913-123752_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200913-123834_Gallery.jpg

I don't use Tough Cases as far as I know but I do use Tough System. Is Tough System perfect? no, Is Tough System junk? I would argue no. My Tough System are scratched, beat up, modified and they haven't let me down yet. Nothing has broken either. Sure the fit and finish could be better but still the best tool boxes I have owned. I will never go back to tool bags. I find the new drawer units to work reasonably well. I've never owned the old drawer unit. I have heard it isn't great. At the time I got into the system my options for modular storage that was also tough were the Ridgid modular tool box system, TStak, or Tough System. The Tstak was the weakest of the 3 from what I could tell. The Ridgid and Tough System seemed pretty comparable in terms of toughness. At the time I had only used the Ridgid out in the job. While Tstak and the Ridgid system had a lower price tag, I decided upon Tough System due to the product lineup. Tough System offered more than the other 2 and the racking system was a huge bonus because I could throw up a couple racks in the shop and have everything organized and easily accessible. The others you had to unstack the stacks to get into lower boxes. If I could start over with Tough System and Packout as my two options, I would still pick Tough System at this time due to the wall racking system. It is annoying and time consuming to have to unstack a bunch of boxes to get to the one at the bottom. If Packout had a wall racking system comparable to Tough System it would be a much harder decision. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

yeah they are on Acme. The modular trays will be available in August. The boxes probably now? There is two combo kits. One DS450 2.0, one DS150 2.0, and either the DS300 2.0 or the DS400 2.0 depending on which kit you want. The half width boxes are not listed last I checked.

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

yeah they are on Acme. The modular trays will be available in August. The boxes probably now? There is two combo kits. One DS450 2.0, one DS150 2.0, and either the DS300 2.0 or the DS400 2.0 depending on which kit you want. The half width boxes are not listed last I checked.

Looks like it'd be cheaper to just buy the individual boxes at Home Depot then one of Acme's kits right now.

• 2 months later...