Cordless Die Grinder

super55

Heres my 2 cents about my experience with Dremel: I dont like them... I will never buy another, if you are looking for a low usage, low price Homeowners rotary tool than Dremel is the tool for you, if not go with the more professional Milwaukee or Bosch tool manufacturers, much higher quality, more power, better warranty and just plain tougher.

I made the mistake of buying a Dremel multimax (I think that's what their oscillating tool is called).  It was awful.  Weak on power, pricey on attachments and blades.  And that thing would get hot quick.  As someone who does a lot of hardwood installs this tool is used a lot to cut jambs and it just didn't work out.  I now own the Bosch version and should have from the start.  It's a lesson I have learned several times but yet keep forgetting due to the "low price" lure...pay more, buy once, cry once, vs pay a little and cry a lot when you are continuously disappointed or replacing it.

Dremel is owned by Bosch which is kind of funny some people really like their tools I personally never bought any of their tools as I had M12 batteries so the M12 rotary tool was fairly cheap as a bare tool. It seems like the 8220 is just an lightly updated version of the 8200 so if there is a huge price difference I would get the cheaper tool. I don't think Milwaukee has a cordless die grinder unless you are talking about a disk cutting grinder.

Dremel tools are designed and produced with the hobbiest in mind. They are not intended for a professional user in a heavy duty application. They're built for people making crafty shit out of balsa or pine, not for the the Catpenter making 1" flush cuts in oak. That's my view of them anyway.

Call me stupid but I never understood what a die grinder was used for.

Here is the detailed wikipedia on a die grinder, but if you don't want to read the whole thing I will try too summaries it It was used in early tool and die making before CNC machines were build to do shapes milling machines could not do. Now they are used on a ton of things from auto body work to general metal working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_grinder

• Like 1

Here is the detailed wikipedia on a die grinder, but if you don't want to read the whole thing I will try too summaries it It was used in early tool and die making before CNC machines were build to do shapes milling machines could not do. Now they are used on a ton of things from auto body work to general metal working.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_grinder'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_grinder

I forgot to thank you DR99 for the information. Thank you!