Thinking about Switching to Milwaukee

Fireguy116

Just as an end user I prefer the Dewalt corded grinders for the combination of power and ergonomics. They have a cheap crappy 4-5” but their midrange 4-5” and 7” are top notch. That’s why a lot of welders use them.

The Flexvolt idea is all wet on small hand tools. The larger batteries are 10 or 15 cell. They are adding extra contacts so you can run say 2 or 3 strings of 5 in parallel or one string of 10 or 15 cells. It is a simple modification to a standard battery pack. If we start with an 18 V motor and we want more power out as we
increase current we get more power but heat scales with the square of current so we quickly lose that battle. If we increase the voltage we can add windings to the existing coils making the motors fatter especially as we go to higher voltage insulation so the gain is not as much as you’d expect and definitely not linear. The alternative is more coils...double stacked rotor for instance. Same diameter motor but twice the length, twice the power, and twice the current with no voltage increase and beating the voltage game. Milwaukee has been down this road before with a 28 V line. Dewalt here is following Milwaukee but with their 28 V vs at the time 14.4 V experience obviously they figured out stacking beats voltage at these sizes. So far Flexvolt seems like a waste of money over 20V Max. In outdoor power tools where space is less of an issue this is where 60 V tools make sense but 5 Ah Flexvolt batteries are just way too small over say the Ego batteries,

When it comes to cordless 4-5” the M18 Fuel is equal to corded in power but cordless. I’m not going to attempt to strip paint on a large area or grind welds all day but for a cutoff tool or knocking out sheet metal cutouts or cleaning up rough edges, it’s so much easier than messing with cords and wins the power race.

As to drill/drivers in low gear I have bruised my wrist with a M18 drill jammed in a piece of steel on a Gen 3 Fuel drill. I have no doubts if I clutch the drill with my thumb wrapped around it I will break it. Done that before on a corded Milwaukee D handle 20 years ago. It’s a common mechanic injury. In high speed gear it beats out the Dewalt drill driver my buddy has in both speed and torque. The only thing I didn’t like about them was the poor chucks but now they buy Rohm just like Dewalt and others. You could accuse them of copying but Rohm is used by just about everybody. I’m partial to Morse from doing machinist work but I don’t think Morse has a decent keyless design.

The only complaint I’ve heard about the Gen 3s is poor battery life but if you have more power you should expect less battery life on a 5 cell. They’re coming out with the larger Panasonic batteries (HO) though that fixes this albeit there are some packaging issues because the form factor has grown and for instance it doesn’t fit the M18 Rover as well.

Lmao!!! Good god... I swear some of these posters are 10 years old!!!

Dewalt came out with this first.... Smh... Who gives a RATS ASS who came out with what first??? I don't get it... We all benefit from it... Buy whatever the hell tool you want... For the life of me I never understood the big deal on who did what or I bought this or that... Do you really think I give a shit...

Buy what you like best and can afford and gets the job done for you... I'm sorry... I can't help but think about the ppl that argue this shit are the same pin heads that drive home with their hard hats on!!!!
Smfh!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 3:09 PM, D U R A M A X said:

It's just your unsubstantiated opinion NOT facts!

Milwaukee just copy tables saw from DeWALT: rack and pinion fence is a DeWALT design - it is a fact!

Milwaukee new installation tool for cabinet installs just another copy from the Festool CXS - it is a fact!

It's easier to take an existing design and make some improvements.
That's what Milwaukee does!

They didn't come up with anything innovative, they just copied it.

Ask anyone and they tell you that this is a DeWALT's design: rack and pinion fence!

Ask anyone and they tell you that this is a Festool's design: Festool CXS with all removable attachments,body shape etc.

But! What is more important: precision and accuracy of DeWALT's table saw over Milwaukee.

Of course you failed to mention that without permission DeWalt wouldn't have cordless tools since they have to pay royalties to Milwaukee for the privilege! Look it up!

I'm sure glad I don't go through life angry and antagonistic it's no way to live, Enjoy!

1 hour ago, OldDominionDIYer said:

Of course you failed to mention that without permission DeWalt wouldn't have cordless tools since they have to pay royalties to Milwaukee for the privilege! Look it up!

I'm sure glad I don't go through life angry and antagonistic it's no way to live, Enjoy!

Again,as I said:

Milwaukee just copy tables saw from DeWALT!

Milwaukee new installation tool for cabinet installs just another copy from the Festool CXS!

Dude just stop... Your making yourself look foolish!!
For gods sake... Do some research into other tools once.. There's all sorts or features that are copied from all different brands... It's usually a good thing... If it works use it.
Seriously how old are you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, D U R A M A X said:

Again,as I said:

Milwaukee new installation tool for cabinet installs just another copy from the Festool CXS!

You use rack and pinion every time you get in your car or truck, Dewalt didn't invent this, but it is one of the best types of fence systems. So why is it that you think Milwaukee should be spanked for offering their customers the best system that's to be offered? Why is it that your not spanking Bosch or Makita who refuse to upgrade, still using glide rails? 

You use rack and pinion every time you get in your car or truck, Dewalt didn't invent this, but it is one of the best types of fence systems. So why is it that you think Milwaukee should be spanked for offering their customers the best system that's to be offered? Why is it that your not spanking Bosch or Makita who refuse to upgrade, still using glide rails? 
Yea obviously I agree but your pissin in the wind... Some ppl think Dewalt invented the hammer.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, D U R A M A X said:

Again,as I said:

Each brand has its own strong points and drawbacks. I own both. Picking which is better boils down to your personal preferences, practices, and needs. Relax dude, it's the Ford / Chevy debate

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, BReal Huge said:

I bought all my power tools in 12-13 era. It’s time to upgrade now that i bought another fixer upper. I don’t mind spending more for quality now. I just want something that’s gonna last.  

You are certain to find an opinion for whatever you ask, but I have found that doing my own research, touching and testing the tools when and where available is the best path.  So much about a tool is personal, the grip, weight and balance, even trigger response and features (some you might use all the time others you might never need) all play into my decision.  One thing is for sure though, every major "Pro" brand has great tools so you really can't go wrong no matter what choice you make. I chose Milwaukee and couldn't be happier, but I also purchased plumbing tools, and some other cordless tools not available by other MFRs. Good luck in your endeavor to find out what works best for you!