Mid-torque impact wrench?

Jjwillac

I'm in the market for a mid-torque impact wrench to replace a Milwaukee 2860-20 that met an untimely death. The Milwaukee did everything I needed, but most of my tools are Makita and I really like my Makita XMT08 high-torque impact, so I took a look at the Makita mid-torque options.  Surprisingly, it seems there really isn't a brushless mid-torque option? The XWT11 I've used is under-powered (210 ft lbs) and slow.  Am I missing something? 

I'm in the market for a mid-torque impact wrench to replace a Milwaukee 2860-20 that met an untimely death. The Milwaukee did everything I needed, but most of my tools are Makita and I really like my Makita XMT08 high-torque impact, so I took a look at the Makita mid-torque options.  Surprisingly, it seems there really isn't a brushless mid-torque option? The XWT11 I've used is under-powered (210 ft lbs) and slow.  Am I missing something? 

Currently only Milwaukee and Dewalt offer a mid torque aside from truck tool brands and maybe IR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve wondered about this as they have a number of small, low-torque options for tight places, then the still-compact, low-mid torque one that actually looks really handy, then nothing between that and their uber-power wrench except this old brushed model that has no variable trigger and makes only 300ftlbs despite being quite large. I tend to suspect impact wrenches may not be the highest priority with Makita but additionally wonder if they just think mid-torque wrenches would be superfluous product in most applications.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Biggie said:

Interesting... looks like they're stepping up their game on the compact impact wrench.  I think this is a good thing but it doesn't really look like a mid torque.  

My sentiment exactly...this seems like a very odd choice for a new impact wrench. As far as I can tell they would fill the exact same niche as the existing XWT11? The extra 30 ft-lbs is really negligable.

1 hour ago, spinningreel said:

516 lbs of fastening torque, wonder if it will have extra removal torque for breaking loose nuts?   

It’s more a consequence of material properties than it is any sort of designed feature, basically a fudge-factor they find useful for marketing purposes. Seems to usually be around 50% higher than the fastening torque rating.

Ended up purchasing the XWT08Z this evening.  Local independent dealer always has fair prices that usually meets and most of the time beats the box stores and online tool stores.  This tool was $229 = tax, which I thought was fair, most online shops had it for $249, 

Amazon did have it for $205 + tax, but I'd rather buy from my local independent tool shop, even if it costs a few bucks more, I can live with that.  Would rather support the little guy.  

I must admit, when they get the XWT17 in stock, I'll probably have to have it, lol.   

• Like 1