Flashing Green & Red

I bought a MILWAUKEE cordless hand drill, rechargeable battery, and I've had the battery pack on the charger but the lights are flashing green and red.  The instruction book states faulty battery... So i took it back to home depot and got it replaced with same.  Came home plugged it in, and the same thing; its flashing green and red! What the (#$&(&T%#!!!!  Should I return this one also?  Should I plug in over night? What drill should I purchase?  Any recommendations?

It seems strange that both would have a bad battery, as it's not a common thing for a new battery to be bad.  Even though its annoying I would return it and although it's a bad first experience I still wouldn't shy away from milwaukee as they do make good tools and batteries.

Could the charger be defective?

Do you know anyone close by that has Milwaukee cordless tools that would let you put the battery in their charger?

I have 13 batteries and 6 chargers, I have never had this problem.

It's a crapshoot, I have had 2 bad batteries and one bad charger (brand new).

Best thing to do is take it right to a Milwaukee service Depot. They can test them onsite.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem when I bought my M18 grease gun. It came with a battery and charger but since I already had a charger from a previous Milwaukee purchase I didn't bother to unpack the new charger. Anyway, when I placed the 1.5AH battery into my existing charger it just flashed Red/Green. I unpacked the new charger and inserted the battery and it started charging just fine. Now that it is charged it works fine on both my Milwaukee chargers. Weird, eh?

• 1 month later...

Hats off to DAN DOODY for his post. New M18 battery inserted into new charger, RED/GREEN FLASHING LIGHTS.

I did the INSTALL/REMOVE, INSTALL/REMOVE procedure several times to clean the contacts on battery and charger and I am GOOD TO GO!!

DAN DOODY, you saved me a trip back to Home Depot, where some of the employees are currently not social distancing properly. I went in today to get the drill had the model on my phone, the guy reached out to hold my phone and reflexes kicked in. No harm, no foul, but come on, situational awareness much??

Thanks again for this forum and for Dan Doody's epic solution to my problem.

Did anyone ask for all that political nonsense?

Pretty sure no one did.
No not really, but then again you didn't have to read it either... One man's so called (political garbage) is another man's point of view. Just saying...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On March 30, 2020 at 9:18 PM, CrustyOldSailor said:

Hats off to DAN DOODY for his post. New M18 battery inserted into new charger, RED/GREEN FLASHING LIGHTS.

I did the INSTALL/REMOVE, INSTALL/REMOVE procedure several times to clean the contacts on battery and charger and I am GOOD TO GO!!

DAN DOODY, you saved me a trip back to Home Depot, where some of the employees are currently not social distancing properly. I went in today to get the drill had the model on my phone, the guy reached out to hold my phone and reflexes kicked in. No harm, no foul, but come on, situational awareness much??

I followed the same advice and still getting the green red alternating. Frustrating. It can flash like that all it wants but I refuse to get into the Xmas spirit! It's the end of May after all. So I unplugged the charger and let it sit for 20 minutes. Plugged it back in, put a battery in and solid red light! Back in business. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 7:03 AM, CrustyOldSailor said:

I had same problem of flashing lights on my new battery . I tried the jump start by joining with another charged 4 Ah battery for few minutes and it got warm . Then cleaned the terminals meant to connect with charger and then charged it . Problem solved .

• 1 month later...

I had the dreaded flashing red/green light dilemma on a new battery and charger.

I had initially plugged into an anti power surge type strip. After numerous unplugging and battery inserts, I plugged directly into an out let and it worked just fine. Must have something to do with the circuitry in the power source. 

• 1 month later...

Dan you're a life saver! I needed my my new impact wrench for a job tomorrow but I was super pissed when I got the red/green flashing. The charger and wrench are both brand new. Gave the battery one hard smack down and it clicked into place properly and started charging.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 2:14 PM, Dan Doody said:

I had the same problem and called Milwaukee tech support.  He said there is a protective coating on the terminals and you have to "slam" them in several times to get a good connection the first time. then you should be fine.

Seems to have done the trick! Thanks! 👍

• 2 weeks later...