gloves.

mxmegastore

I am on the hunt for warm workgloves. What I need is something that can keep my hands warm at 0°F and also allow me to easily pickup screws nails etc. I basically gotta be able to build a house in 0° weather. I am also not going to get heatedgloves yet. I hope to eventually get some just not right...

No such thing. Never used electrics. Too gimmicky and either doesn’t hold up or doesn’t last all day.

Do it the way we do in Northern Michigan: two gloves! Or actually gloves and mittens. Use a decent liner glove first. The knit industrial gloves are perfect. The kind you might use in fall or spring. The outer mitten is worn over the liner glove. Think snowmobile mittens. The warmer the better. And don’t be afraid of wearing the “kiddie” string with the clips to hold the mittens. Or wear a Carhartt style “chore coat” or a belt with large pockets to hold the mittens.

When doing “rough” things like slinging a hammer or handling lumber you will be warm in the mittens. Then for detailed work get everything ready first. Drop the mittens and work quickly. Usually you can get a good 20 minutes before your hands are too stiff and the mittens go back on. It takes about twice as long though to warm up as it does to cool down.

Also make sure to have at least two sets. The insulation value of anything that gets wet is zero so need to be able to swap out and have a dry pair at all times. I stuff them in my upper bib overall pocket so they are already warm when I need them.

The whole key to insulation is dead air. So when you wear two gloves the air space between them adds to the insulation value even more than the gloves themselves.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For me, mittens are warmer than gloves on a cold day because, since gloves are longer than mittens, there is a higher chance that heat might not be contained or trapped inside the gloves. This makes mittens warmer than gloves. Seams for hand clothing gear translate to insulation. With mittens having fewer seams, there is less chance that heat can escape from the fabric. The last, fingers occupying the same space, is warmer than using gloves.