Drill Press Suggestions, Please!

Markovv

Hi

I have come to terms with the fact that I will need to part with a serious amount of cash and get me a drill press. Just wondering whether any of you guys on the forum have any particular favourites or any thoughts on the drill presses I should avoid.

I expect that I will have about $400 to splash out with.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Thanks

Marko

Harbor Freight has some drill presses that also get really good reviews. Do you need a bench or full size model? Also do you want a made in the USA tool because they still make some of the stationary tools here. Home depot sells a bunch online also http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=drill+press&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

The last time I used a drill press was high school shop class. If buying new isn't a priority check out craigslist there are deals out there you just have to be smart on how you deal with people on there. The biggest scams seem to be cars and any sort of electronics computers or cell phones.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I have spent a bit of time reading various reviews of drill presses online (like this one) and scouting around Amazon to see what gets the highest reviews there. I like the look of the Shop Fox W1668. Anyone been using that or heard much about it?

Not previously considered the Porter Cable, but it's on my shortlist now!

Thanks

Never heard of the shop fox name and it looks really hit or miss with that drill press. A good number of reviews say its poorly packaged to ship, and if your going to spend that much money I would want a tool that has good options for service and parts. If you look online a lot of the bench tools are made by the same company but they brand it for another company.