20v vs 60v string trimmer

Moze

I couldn’t resist the value.

9AH FV battery came with the trimmer.

However, the head is not bump feeding correctly.

My kids used the 20v version today. A bit less power.

If you are edging a bit of grass, I wouldn’t upgrade, other than trying a FV battery on it.

My 60v gets into some heavy brush. It does okay.

Best upgrade is the string you use. Get the thickest that will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad has the 20v and I have the 60v.  I haven't used his 20v in a couple years now but from what I remember it had decent power for a homeowner trimming grass around the house.  When I got my 60v they had a really good promo going for the kit with a 9.0 battery so that was my deciding factor. 

Being 6'2" tall, the first thing I noticed was the 60v is longer and was much more comfortable for me.   If I remember right with the 20v it seemed to work best in the higher speed.  With the 60v trimming around the house I never use the high speed and actually still feather the throttle sometimes in low.  The 60v can take .095 line but came with the .080 line which is the thickest the 20v can take.  I had a lot of issues with the line breaking inside the head but once I got through the factory line and bought some dewalt .095 line it made a world of difference.  Maybe the. 080 isn't an issue on the less powerful 20v but with the 60v I wouldn't run anything but the .095 .  So while I don't need the more powerful trimmer I'm glade that I got the 60v for those other reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, will the 60 volt flex volt battery work in the 20 volt, if so you could keep your platform and just buy a battery unless the 60 volt weedeater produces more power and that is what you are after, to cut heavier grass.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, LordBug said:

The best thing I did with the 60v trimmer was replace the bump head with a speedfeed head. I don't know if they've improved the supplied head since I bought it, but it was atrocious for refilling the line.

I had that same complaint.  Based on your post, I just ordered one too.  I am on my second head already and it is worn out.  

On 6/15/2020 at 2:28 AM, LordBug said:

The best thing I did with the 60v trimmer was replace the bump head with a speedfeed head. I don't know if they've improved the supplied head since I bought it, but it was atrocious for refilling the line.

whats so bad about the head?  push line though hole, and rotate head to wind up the  line.  pretty darn simple.

59 minutes ago, framer said:

whats so bad about the head?  push line though hole, and rotate head to wind up the  line.  pretty darn simple.

Sounds like they did change it
To refill the head that came with mine, you had to pop off the housing, wedge two separate lines into two plastic holes on the spool that wore out way too fast, carefully wrap the line, curse profusely when the line turned into a birdsnest, gently coax the two lines out the opposing holes, hold your breath as you put the spool back into the body, curse some more when the lines go everywhere, and then finally half an hour later you might be ready to start trimming again :P

• Like 1

• 6 months later...