Review of Kobalt 227 pc Mechanics Tool Set

firefighter4187

Great video Chase! Dude, That is a great set!!  Everything looks brand new and that is a real complete set.  I'm sure you could always have more ratchets like Conductor  :)  The box looks like an Lboxx.  Love the lifetime warranty. The ratchet you got from Lowe's clearance is sweeeet.  I'm telling you man, Dan & Eric should make you the satellite TIA.      

Nice set Chase. Your taste in sockets will change over time. I started with a 73 piece Kobalt set when I was 15. Over time I recommend filling your set out to 1-1/4" in SAE and 28mm in metric. You won't encounter much bigger than that in a home DIY shop setting. I went 6 pt. in 1/4" and 3/8" and 12 pt. in 1/2". I duplicated most sizes in 3/8" and 1/2" meaning I have a 6 and 12 in most sizes with the exception of the very large sizes where most fasteners are at least grade 5 and unlikely to round off anyway. Add yourself a u joint in each size and up your metric combos to 19mm to start off. Kobalt also has crowfoot wrench sets for decent prices. You won't need them much, but the one time you do it'll be worth it.

Yes. You brought up a good point. I have been storing my sockets and ratchets in a toolbox that I can carry around. It's too heavy to carry now. Maybe I need a bigger toolbox. But I like being able to carry it around.

Yeah, I like the mobility of carrying mine around, thats where conductor hits a road block, when he has a train that is broke down and he is the only one there to fix it, and he doesnt have his sockets ready to go haha  :)

Back on topic, I like the Hanson style trays, but I'm working in a shop 9 out of 10 times. If portability is a big issue you can always just buy a spare "road set". Hanson trays need deep drawers though. You can get by with semi-deep for 3/8" and 1/4" though.

Back on topic, I like the Hanson style trays, but I'm working in a shop 9 out of 10 times. If portability is a big issue you can always just buy a spare "road set". Hanson trays need deep drawers though. You can get by with semi-deep for 3/8" and 1/4" though.

Which ones are the Hanson's? and I like to have a portable option, I also have a 70 piece Kobalt set that I think I will keep in the truck and this will be a starting set for my socket collection in my tool box and are the ones in this set semi deep or deep?

They looked deep to me.

The Hanson trays have the flat base with the pegs that have the sizes on them. Lowe's sells a Kobalt branded set that is exactly the same thing.

Ohh ok, I will look into those, the box I am looking at has a 3 1/2 in top drawer, hopefully those will fit!

I had that set but I returned it and got the big Husky set Home Depot sells around Christmas I got the Husky set for 99 bucks they were getting rid of them after the holidays. It comes in a nice big case which they don't show in the picture.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-268-Piece-H268MTS/203541462?N=rd#.UggexG3KEa8

I had that set but I returned it and got the big Husky set Home Depot sells around Christmas I got the Husky set for 99 bucks they were getting rid of them after the holidays. It comes in a nice big case which they don't show in the picture.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanics-Tool-Set-268-Piece-H268MTS/203541462?N=rd#.UggexG3KEa8

How do you like the Husky ratchets?