U.S. General Tool Chest

firefighter4187

Those are nice boxes. Seriously! If I had it to do over I'd have bought one instead of my tin foil Crapsmn. They're thick compared to mine.

I have been reading/ watching reviews online and people are talking about how much of a quality box it is for 1/8 of a truck brand box!

Yea I'm pretty mad at buying a crapsman toolbox as well as Conductor calls them. It's too small feels cheap I bought it a few years ago before tool blogs really took off so I didn't know as much back then. Harbor Freight is a really good place to buy tool boxes I dunno why it is you would think they would be crap like a lot of other things they sell.

• 8 months later...

Well, now I feel cheated by my crapsman boxes. This tool addiction of mine has my triple stack busting at the seams.

I'll have to keep an eye open for a sale at Harbor Freight. I'd like to pick up a bottom like that and a top to match.

Craftsman has recently revamped their line of toolboxes.  Much better than in years past, just stay away from the "basic" line.  The newer boxes are assembled in the USA.  Casters from China, boxes made in the USA, I can't say for sure where the slides are made.  I need to dig a little deeper on that.

When I was working for a local telecom company there were several car dealerships on my service route so I got to wander around the service area to fix stuff.  I'd see some US General boxes and would ask the mechanics how they liked them.  Most all those guys were satisfied.

Harbor Fright has had the 44" toolbox on sale this month. http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-13-Drawer-Glossy-Red-Industrial-Roller-Cabinet-68784.html I don't know what the normal price is though off hand I don't think they sold for 700 dollars that often. I can believe what guy's end up paying for the tool truck tool boxes they are just insane you can drop 10 grand that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. General box is the best deal a homeowner can come accross for you garage... as far as pros... Snap on and matco's outrageous prices still take the cake... Idk guys just something about those matco boxes that calls my name... I mean i see 200lbs men sitting on the drawer...that does it for me..lol

I know what you mean Frankie, there are some things you just like, but the USG boxes are better than you might think and you can buy a bunch of them for the cost of 1 truck box.

If you really want a truck box I can hook you up with a guy who sells a ton of used ones. You'll save a ton. He deals mostly in Snap-On and Mac, but he does have Matco's occasionally.

• Like 1

I also made the mistake of buying a "Crapsman" after really liking my vintage (Key word here) toolbox (See pic). My grandfather bought this box and he would be dissapointed to see where craftsmans' gone.

• 1 month later...

DON'T EVER BUY ANYTHING AT HARBOR FREIGHT FULL PRICE. ANYTHING. EVER. 

Especially on the $169 red tool cart or the $369 tool cabinet. There are always always coupons for it. The coupon and sale and parking lot sale thing is all just hype and a gimmick. You can get all those items at their sale price almost any day of the year so long as you have the coupon. Just sign up for the coupons or get the coupon numbers online. You can read off coupon numbers to them at the register or show them a picture of the coupon off your phone. 

By the way, I know 4 mechanics, including myself that have that $169 red tool cart. It is fantastic. Our master tech has had it for 3 years and has no complaints. He's a Snap/Mac/Matco guy but his wife bought it for him. He was skeptical of the quality but it's lasted him this long and it's changed his mind. 

I know 1 mechanic that has the $369 tool cabinet. Loves it and it's been great. I'd say it's definitely on par with Craftsman/Kobalt/Husky boxes, if not better.