M18 Fuel vs 20v Max

banjerpicker

Also ft. pounds issue, how many years have we been using inch and foot pounds to measure things...and how many years have we been using uwo....and whats the best way to compare drills to drills oh thats right,  ft. pounds ands whats the easiest way to confuse a normal consumer, oh thats right, uwo!

IMO they need to explain it to the end user. We are a tiny percent of people who buy tools, the average contractor who gos into lowe/ hd, they do some comparisons, the main one being volts, rpm and TORQUE, he cant make that comparison if 1. He has no clue in hell what it is! 2. He can only compare dewalt tools because no other tool has it?

O7, Like pedro said, and this the reason I made the switch, where are all the specialty tools which in some trades are like a drill, they are the backbone? When is DeWalt planning on releasing them like 20v propex tools, force logic, caulking, multi tools??? These are all just as important in some trades, I feel bad for some of the trade guys using dewalt right now, I bet they are begging for these tools!

The market might not be big enough for Dewalt to warrant spending the money to build it, that's all not every company will always build each tool out there

IMO they needed who explain it to the end user. We are a tinycompare t of people who buy tools, the average contractor who gos into lowe/ hd, they do some comparisons, the main one being volts, rpm and TORQUE, he cant make that comparison if 1. He has no clue in hell what it is! 2. He can only compare dewalt tools because no other tool has it?

Mort people are gonna buy what they like and for what their willing to pay... Not everyone is a bit of a junkie like us and compare

The market might not be big enough for Dewalt to warrant spending the money to build it, that's all not every company will always build each tool out there

Again this is why Milwaukee is here for you, yeah it may cost some money, but we are here for all trades, and its not like these arnt some rare tools, force logic is the new sodering!

I do.  I hate to buy something, and it not last. I also  want the best bang for my buck.

Thank you, that proves my point right there, no one goes into Lowes or home depot blindly when they are going to make a large investment into something that makes there money for them!

in line with lies the most comprehensive comparison I've seen:

http://www.coptool.com/18v-hammer-drill-showdown-bosch-dewalt-makita-milwaukee/

If the link isn't working just copy and paste into your browser.

Looks like Dewalt isn't hiding anything really pulling numbers in line with the fuel and bosch

Thank you, that proves my point right there, no one goes into Lowes or home depot blindly when they are going to make a large investment into something that makes there money for them!

If there is one thing I learned on forums all over the net from atvs to power tools most people on forums are educated in items and will compare and breakdown purchases... But the majority will buy what they want.. Many tool owners are brand loyal like truck owners because Dewalt runs uwo and still sell a ton of tools and it won't change anytime soon

Ok, I went to the local Home Depot and compared the display models they had out in both the M18 Fuel and 20v max.  They had a drill/driver, impact, and hammer drill for each one on display.  I couldn't test comfort, due to anti-theft devices.  Weight wise, they felt about the same.  The chuck screw, the screw you see on the inside that, I'm assuming, holds the chuck on the drill, looked tougher on the Dewalt.  Dewalt had some made in Mexico, which I think is better than China.  I also preferred the grip marks on the chuck on the Dewalt.  They seemed to be a little easier to get a hold of.  I didn't get to do a run test.  The batteries were dead on all but one. 

All-in-all, it was a draw, at best, that leaned toward the Dewalt.  The deciding factor came when I checked for play on the drill/driver and hammer drill on the chuck.  I checked side-by-side and by rotating the chuck until I feel the gears engage.  I know some is normal, however the Dewalt had significantly more play than the Milwaukee, a deal breaker.  Both had a little, but the Dewalt was at least double the Milwaukee.  So, it looks like I will be going with the M18 Fuel.

A couple of more questions.  What's the difference between these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-XC-Combo-Kit-2797-22/203639295#.UgVPTDHD_IU

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-4468-milwaukee-m18-fuel-hammer-drill-impact-kit-2797-22.aspx?CA_6C15C=1612295642

Also, are the tools you get individually different than those that come in the kit?

Ok, I went to the local Home Depot and compared the display models they had out in both the M18 Fuel and 20v max. They had a drill/driver, impact, and hammer drill for each one on display. I couldn't test comfort, due to anti-theft devices. Weight wise, they felt about the same. The chuck screw, the screw you see on the inside that, I'm assuming, holds the chuck on the drill, looked tougher on the Dewalt. Dewalt had some made in Mexico, which I think is better than China. I also preferred the grip marks on the chuck on the Dewalt. They seemed to be a little easier to get a hold of. I didn't get to do a run test. The batteries were dead on all but one.

All-in-all, it was a draw, at best, that leaned toward the Dewalt. The deciding factor came when I checked for play on the drill/driver and hammer drill on the chuck. I checked side-by-side and by rotating the chuck until I feel the gears engage. I know some is normal, however the Dewalt had significantly more play than the Milwaukee, a deal breaker. Both had a little, but the Dewalt was at least double the Milwaukee. So, it looks like I will be going with the M18 Fuel.

A couple of more questions. What's the difference between these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-XC-Combo-Kit-2797-22/203639295#.UgVPTDHD_IU

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/P-4468-milwaukee-m18-fuel-hammer-drill-impact-kit-2797-22.aspx?CA_6C15C=1612295642

Also, are the tools you get individually different than those that come in the kit?

Those 2 kits are identical. Both have 2 XC packs, same tools, etc. When kit shopping, if there is a big difference in price it's usually the difference in either XC or compact batteries or 1 battery as opposed to 2. Also watch for Hammer Drill vs. Drill/Driver.

As for additional tools, it obviously depends on your individual needs, but a sawzall and a circ saw are the big ones that come to mind. The fuel saws will be available as bare tools very soo. We'll also see 4 piece Fuel combos soon.

Those 2 kits are identical. Both have 2 XC packs, same tools, etc. When kit shopping, if there is a big difference in price it's usually the difference in either XC or compact batteries or 1 battery as opposed to 2. Also watch for Hammer Drill vs. Drill/Driver.

As for additional tools, it obviously depends on your individual needs, but a sawzall and a circ saw are the big ones that come to mind. The fuel saws will be available as bare tools very soo. We'll also see 4 piece Fuel combos soon.

:)

Ok, I went to the local Home Depot and compared the display models they had out in both the M18 Fuel and 20v max.  They had a drill/driver, impact, and hammer drill for each one on display.  I couldn't test comfort, due to anti-theft devices.  Weight wise, they felt about the same.  The chuck screw, the screw you see on the inside that, I'm assuming, holds the chuck on the drill, looked tougher on the Dewalt.  Dewalt had some made in Mexico, which I think is better than China.  I also preferred the grip marks on the chuck on the Dewalt.  They seemed to be a little easier to get a hold of.  I didn't get to do a run test.  The batteries were dead on all but one. 

All-in-all, it was a draw, at best, that leaned toward the Dewalt.  The deciding factor came when I checked for play on the drill/driver and hammer drill on the chuck.  I checked side-by-side and by rotating the chuck until I feel the gears engage.  I know some is normal, however the Dewalt had significantly more play than the Milwaukee, a deal breaker.  Both had a little, but the Dewalt was at least double the Milwaukee.  So, it looks like I will be going with the M18 Fuel.

A couple of more questions.  What's the difference between these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Hammer-Drill-Impact-Driver-XC-Combo-Kit-2797-22/203639295#.UgVPTDHD_IU

Good choice! Like conductor said those 2 kits are the same! Every Milwaukee FUEL drill is the same, no one has cheaper parts or not an option that another model has. Im glad you chose the Milwaukee, you wont turn back, the saws come out in september/ october, along with a brushless impact wrench and angle grinder. Keep us updated on your purchase!

I had the same issue with all 3 of my dewalt drills; dcd785, dcd780, dcd710.  The worst of the bunch was the dcd785.  I noticed that there is loads more play in all of the hammer drills than in non hammer variants.  

I had the same issue with all 3 of my dewalt drills; dcd785, dcd780, dcd710.  The worst of the bunch was the dcd785.  I noticed that there is loads more play in all of the hammer drills than in non hammer variants.  

+1 for this problem, I had it in the 780.

I have very very little on my 780, I checked awhile ago... Checked the father in law's tonight while we were doing a job and his is pretty well the same as mine, very little play

Hasn't caused any problems in our drills yet either, and we weren't kind to them tonight haha

We were drilling holes in the wall outside here for a bathroom exhaust fan, 4" holesaw (maybe 5) on the drill...Took some abuse there but she did it and the walls here are about solid 6-8" think of solid wood