Makita DHP482 torque settings- real Nm values

alexjg-

I’d like to use my Makita cordless drill to work on parts of my bicycle. Some of the bike’s components require a certain fastening torque (all measured in Nm). The drill has 11 graduations from 1-21 on the torque adjuster. I found in Makita’s spec, the maximum fastening torque to be 62Nm, but that’s the only value they give. I was wondering if anyone knew what scale Makita uses and how it translates to actual torque values measured in Nm.

• 2 weeks later...

A cordless drill/driver isn’t especially accurate. A torque wrench will give you a better result.

That being said, you could try calibrating your drill against a torque wrench and note down the Values. Alternatively you can put a long Allen key (or similar) in the chuck and measure how much weight the drill can lift. 

1 Nm equates to 100 grams* at a distance of 1m, as does 1kg at 100mm, 2kg at 50mm, etc.

So if your drill can lift 5kg at 100mm away from the drill shaft, that setting is delivering roughly 5Nm of torque.

*its actually ~101.97, but 100 is close enough for practical purposes.

• Like 1