20V Impact Wrench

ItchyZ

Hi, new inquirer here.  I need to get a 1/2" impact wrench for the main purpose of removing and reinstalling the blades on my John Deere 48" mower deck.  I'm 70 now and doing it with a 1/2 socket wrench and a torque wrench is pretty much out of the question now.  So, I have a recommendation from my repair guy.  He uses the DeWalt 20V 1/2 impact wrench.  However, I'm a little inundated with so many DeWalt models and most of them look different from each other and have different prices, even though they say they are 1/2" and 20V.  I know some have a brushless motor, and I like the sounds of that, but some are not.  All I am going to purchase is the tool, a battery and the battery charger.  I don't even think I need an extra battery.  I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I, can bring some of this chaos into useful order.  Thanks for your indulgence.

Edited by ItchyZ
Words added for clarity.

I would suggest that if you are just using to remove blades, go with the least expensive Dewalt Lithium model.  Blades don't require a ton of torque and the lithium batteries will let you leave them on the shelf and not lose the charge.

Each manufacturer does have a few models available.  Some are brushed, while others are brushless.  Then you have compact, mid and large torque wrenches which just refers to the size of the tool and also the larger ones have more torque.  To make things even more crazy, you then have hog ring and pin detent.  

I would go with a 1/2" hog ring.  This one is will take of car wheels and more so it shouldn't have a problem with mower blades.  This is the kit but if you look around you can get a bare tool or one with a single battery and charger. 

Dewalt - DCF880HM2.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:13 AM, Eric - TIA said:

I would suggest that if you are just using to remove blades, go with the least expensive Dewalt Lithium model.  Blades don't require a ton of torque and the lithium batteries will let you leave them on the shelf and not lose the charge.

Each manufacturer does have a few models available.  Some are brushed, while others are brushless.  Then you have compact, mid and large torque wrenches which just refers to the size of the tool and also the larger ones have more torque.  To make things even more crazy, you then have hog ring and pin detent.  

I would go with a 1/2" hog ring.  This one is will take of car wheels and more so it shouldn't have a problem with mower blades.  This is the kit but if you look around you can get a bare tool or one with a single battery and charger. 

Dewalt - DCF880HM2.

why would you recommend that one?  it only has 150ft lbs torque. and for a few dollars more you can get so much more power.

i'd recommend the dcf899h with the hog ring.  its rated for 700ft lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF899HB-Brushless-Torque-Impact/dp/B07LGFCH6Y?th=1

you could use that one to remove wheel lugnuts, or anything.

It really just depends on your situation.  If the blades have been taken off regularly and not over torqued the compact dcf880 should be sufficient, while being much lighter and depending on what you have for a lift its also more compact.  Now if the blades haven't been taken off in years and are rusted or they have been off and someone over torqued them, you might need the mid range dcf894 or high torque dcf899.  Just be careful with the dcf899 if you're not familiar with impact wrenches because it does have enough power to strip and break things.

Personally I have about every impact dewalt and milwaukee make at my shop but when I sharpen my blade at home on my 20" push mower I throw a bit adapter in my m12 impact driver to take it off.  It only has 100ft/lbs of torque but its always worked just fine.

I agree with you guys on for a couple of dollars more but my thought is he is 70 years old and sounds like he is just using it for his lawn mower blades.  If he can use a lighter tool and make life easier, why not.  Like Biggie suggested, an impact driver would probably do just fine.  But I see what your saying framer with for only a couple of dollar more.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest for AVID power 20v max impact wrench, as its a best seller in amazon , as its a powerful and budget tool . but if you are looking for more powerfull tool then i recommend to go for eneacro cordless max impact wrench which is more powerful when compared.

Hope this helps