Overload protection kicked in

Conductor562

There is this one but its 3 times the amount of The harbor freight:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-2-in-850-RPM-Magnum-Drill-0300-20/100609377/

I know it doesn't have the D handle but has almost everything else. Maybe I could use it for more things.

If you ever need some low speed drilling, this will do it!

I don't like HF power tools, or hand tools for that matter, but as a dedicated mixing drill for a DIY guy it's probably good enough. I try to offer advise without bias.

A D Handle is not required. A traditional side handle is sufficient. You will want a keyed 1/2" chuck though.

I don't like HF power tools, or hand tools for that matter, but as a dedicated mixing drill for a DIY guy it's probably good enough. I try to offer advise without bias.

A D Handle is not required. A traditional side handle is sufficient. You will want a keyed 1/2" chuck though.

Yeah, I just hate to see people going in there buying cordless drills thinking its HD lol..

I use to use the Milwaukee 0302-20 to mix stuff, but it has been sitting in a box on the shelf for the past year.  I probably should be using that for mixing stuff instead of the Fuel, but the Fuel is hanging on the wall and so much easier to access than the older Milwaukee in a box.  Great drill, but don't really need it for anything.

That's one thing that sucks about Lowes they never have any open box tool deal. I don't mind a nice discount on a lightly used tool.

The drill in question had drywall mud and some in unidentifiable substance all over it. Like some bought it for a project and promptly returned it like a commie asshole.

One thing I've learned is you don't always need a name brand tool to do a job... I have some princess auto tools aka the Canadian harbor freight but they are uncommon non everyday tools that you need in a pinch and do a fine job... Like uncommon auto mechanic tools where snap on would charge 200-300 I got for 20-30 bucks that do the same job the 3 times a year I'd need to see it in a auto garage setting... 

So I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to jump on a that harbor freight drill if it's just to mix cement, thinset etc...for 50 bucks

If your doing this type of job everyday and use the drill extensively I'd buy a good one, if your doing it every blue moon, save your money and buy a cheap drill... It's not like drill is going to explode in your hands or kill you...

Some of those cheap tools work and go for years, depending what you use it for...

Very good points Sierra!! Thanks for your advise!

Like my hammer drill is just a corded cheap one I got from Canadian tire, for the amount of times I go through concrete and the like it's all I would need and it does a pretty damn good job and got it on sale for like 39.99 http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/HammerDrills/PRD~0542951P/Mastercraft+Corded+Hammer+Drill+Kit%2C+100-pc.jsp?locale=en

Don't always need a fancy tool to get er done ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the old girl a good workout today. I drill 8 1/4" and 4 3/8" holes in 1/4" plate steel today while fabricating a mounting plate for a hand wench on my new trailer. My Dad looked at me funny when I broke out a cordless drill for the task. He said he wasn't sure a cordless was up to it, but that's to be expected from a Dewalt guy :lol:

No overload kick in's and even using black oxide Thunderbolt bits (with plenty of cutting fluid) it sailed right through.

Glad to here!!!, How do you like the Black oxide?

They're great for everyday bits as the performance is there and the price is right. Tin coated or gold oxide bits are better if your only going to have one set of bits for everything you do, but I use my Blacks as everyday, general purpose bits, and Cobalt alloy bits for metal. I was in a pinch today and had to use the blacks. The Tin or Gold bits are fine for thin gauge stuff, but the won't hold up long in thicker steel. Always use cutting fluid for anything thicker than sheet metal.

They're great for everyday bits as the performance is there and the price is right. Tin coated or gold oxide bits are better if your only going to have one set of bits for everything you do, but I use my Blacks as everyday, general purpose bits, and Cobalt alloy bits for metal. I was in a pinch today and had to use the blacks. The Tin or Gold bits are fine for thin gauge stuff, but the won't hold up long in thicker steel. Always use cutting fluid for anything thicker than sheet metal.

Oh, and always drill thicker metal on the lower speed setting. It's easier to control and more importantly, it helps keep from burning up your bits.

• 8 years later...