What's your trade...?

Moze

• 1 month later...

I have own business installing custom window treatments. This is my 14 th year in business and still huge demand. So I use a ton of tools all day everyday also. I have tried for years to find the right young person to learn my trade and expand my scope. Most young kids have no tool or materials experience at all. It is kind of sad. But demand will eventually provide supply. I find the kids who were heavy into shop classes in school are not as focused as my field requires. I think we need to change thinking that an uncertain office job is somehow better than a skilled trade job

• Like 1

I have own business installing custom window treatments. This is my 14 th year in business and still huge demand. So I use a ton of tools all day everyday also. I have tried for years to find the right young person to learn my trade and expand my scope. Most young kids have no tool or materials experience at all. It is kind of sad. But demand will eventually provide supply. I find the kids who were heavy into shop classes in school are not as focused as my field requires. I think we need to change thinking that an uncertain office job is somehow better than a skilled trade job

I will never ever work in an office and at a desk, i have to be working with my hands outside.

For a living i work for public utlity..electric water wastewater natural gas... use to firefight and some medical issues threw a wrench in that career..tools used or use..hydraulic rams/spreaders/cutters..axes..halogan toolswhich are bad ass for demo work..now pretty much typical tools..multimeter , wrenches, sauldering, nothing fancy....nothing like running trains

• Like 1

Im a ... Was in the Navy, worked on advanced weapon systems and did some VBSS stuff (board ships, hunt pirates and drug smugglers). Had a job a lot like myth busters, a testing facility.. Even operated a centrifuge, my job was to break stuff. I worked as an industrial maint tech at Behr paint. Worked on their robotics and manufacturing lines then went on to a medical company that made IV bags and cancer drugs (B.Braun Medical) worked on more robotics. Recently I went back to school, studying embedded engineering, Electronics and Computer Engineering at Cal Poly.

I tutor electronics, PLC, and microcontrollers, do consulting for product design. I developed stuff for K2CNC, smart watches, and a few other projects. I'm still going to school but I work full time at SpeakerPower, I fix and design audio amps.

On the side I do CCTV's and wireless coms with a friend, big jobs, city wide installs. Also the normal handyman stuff and wire up office buildings for phone/cable/network

I'm a very busy guy, never have any money... It all goes to my wife, dogs, and tools. Trying to build up a woodshop, enjoying my Ridgid R4512!

I worked as a maintenance mechanic/electrician for many years. Everyday was something different.

The joy of that is that when you do it long enough, it gives you a ton of skill in a lot of different areas.

It sure does. I can fix anything, and I have added embedded engineering to my "tool box", so now I design some cool stuff.

My first maintenance mechanic job was at Behr Paint. Yep, I used to fix the robotics that makes the paint many of you guys buy. I learned a lot about paint, the first thing.., paint is something you do, it's called coatings ... Not paint. :)

My grandfather was a Maint Mech for coke, guess it runs in family

It sure does. I can fix anything, and I have added embedded engineering to my "tool box", so now I design some cool stuff.

My first maintenance mechanic job was at Behr Paint. Yep, I used to fix the robotics that makes the paint many of you guys buy. I learned a lot about paint, the first thing.., paint is something you do, it's called coatings ... Not paint. :)

My grandfather was a Maint Mech for coke, guess it runs in family

Sounds like a pretty cool job

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the first person in my family not to work in the chemical industry

I'm the first person to work for a chemical company. Both my brothers work with there hands though. One works on bank safes and the other does construction. They have more of a 9-5 M-F schedule.though. They think I'm crazy for the hours I work. Call outs at all hours of the night.......

Due to the wonderful cold weather here in the Midwest I came in with another one of my guys to get the Semi's running and keep them running all night. The plan was to stay till midnight and then go home get some sleep and be back at 6 AM. Com ED had another plan for us, multiple power outages last night. I'm headed to my truck now to try and get some sleep.

Most of my family worked for Union Carbide and a little company called Fyke Chemical that died off in the early 80's. My dad worked with the train crews that came in the plant and when I'd go to work with him I'd get to ride around on the train. I knew right then the railroad was where I wanted to be.

Most of my family worked for Union Carbide and a little company called Fyke Chemical that died off in the early 80's. My dad worked with the train crews that came in the plant and when I'd go to work with him I'd get to ride around on the train. I knew right then the railroad was where I wanted to be.

Funny you mention getting to ride on the train and the effect it had on you. Last year we had a bunch of snow and I was out clearing the rail switches that are on our property. One of the BNSF guys yelled over and asked if I could help them with there's outside our fence line. Of course I was willing to help, grabbed my weed burner and propane tank and trekked out there. After I was done I started the long walk back to our property. They said hop on. Coolest thing ever!!!! I stil jump on and visit with them if I have time. Nothing like standing outside on the stairs on a train engine....

When you're in the cab you're riding high. Eye level is around 12 ft. in the air. It's like anything else, you get used to it, but the first few months it was unbelievable to me that they actually paid me good money to ride around on a train, lol

• 4 weeks later...

I'll get in on this...

Mechanical Engineer who does remodeling work on the side. I have worked construction since I was 15 and no matter what path I try to take to stray away it always circles back to tools. 

I need to figure out how to post pics to show some of my work...

I'll get in on this...

Mechanical Engineer who does remodeling work on the side. I have worked construction since I was 15 and no matter what path I try to take to stray away it always circles back to tools. 

I need to figure out how to post pics to show some of my work...

If you click on the more reply options button it will give you more options and you can the attach files to your post.

• 3 weeks later...

Land surveyor, CAD drafter, sometime IT wonk.

The first task mostly requires a pocket tape and a BFH, the second a comfortable chair and mouse, the third, a couple of Phillips drivers and infinite patience...

Actually, I got into surveying because of all the cool toys you get to play with...