What's your trade...?

Moze

Actually, I got into surveying because of all the cool toys you get to play with...

I can certainly relate. The day I hired on the RR the Trainmaster asked us why we wanted to work on the RR. Most guy came back with something about pay, benefits, etc. I told them "I just wanted to blow the whistle", lol.

I'm a plumbing and hvac tech. My company specializes in large industrial process piping, but we take everything that comes our way. My day could start snaking a drain and end welding pipe on a steam boiler, then go out and run oil burner emergency service @ night. It gets hectic in the winter months but it puts food on the table and keeps the lights on.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Kelly I'm a Glazer I install windows and doors and panels as well as mirrors been doing it for about 4 yrs off and on i did some painting as well when we get slow in the winter. Some of the tools I use are Milwaukee fuel combo kit, Bosch hammer drills,mallets,pry bars, hex keys, JLG lifts biggest one i've been on was 135 footer we also use swing stage. 

• Like 1

I'm an property maintenance technician. Every day can be something different from electrical, drywall/paint, plumbing and etc. I prefer working anything computer or electricity. So far have my HVAC certification and currently working on my electrician apprenticeship now

Same here K.C, everyday is different and u learn alot in that field... I'm tired if it now because my main interstate is hvac, that's where the real moneys at... waiting for my wife to Finnish her medical degrees, so I can go for my class A... eventually. I want to open my company for fabrication of major chiller systems for skyscrapers... hopefully I can be up and running in 10-15yrs top pulling some good net...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an property maintenance technician. Every day can be something different from electrical, drywall/paint, plumbing and etc. I prefer working anything computer or electricity. So far have my HVAC certification and currently working on my electrician apprenticeship now

That sounds like a pretty awesome job KC. I'd love to own a bunch of rental property and spend my days maintaing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree people with technical and building skills are undervalued.  What scares me is they are eliminating these things from high schools.  I know my local school took away autoshop and woodworking.  I took both those classes in High School.  Can only imagine what is happening across the country.

Not to mention that there's no F.F.A. program in high schools around here. 

I'm a small engine tech. I work on anything that's not a car, truck, van, etc. I work a good 26 hours a week mainly because i still have to deal with school. This is a current project that I have been working on since October. It is another Ke100 (I was going to use it as a parts bike but i decided to fix it up.) note:gas tank is on my work bench.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'ma Governmental facility lectrizian by trade but I'm an information junkie.  Being an electrician, especially service electrician at times, I'm basically forced into being a handyman doing everything from drywall to plumbing and trim carpentry.  Which bodes well for me because I try to learn as much about everything I can.  
I'm certified in generators (Air and liquid), Tankless water heaters (Gas and electric), gas certified, OSHA certified, CPR, and unofficially certified in demolition :D

I have well over 4,000 hours in heavy machine operation, including but not limited to; High-lifts, Lull's, Mini-Ex, heavy demolition and extendo-boom excavators.  Many types of man-lifts, Combo's, front loaders, etc.  

My main areas of interest are construction trades but I dabble in law, automotive mechanics, woodworking (general, custom and trim), IT and whatever may peek my interest.

I know a lot about everything but proficient in nothing :D