What's your trade...?

Moze

I forgot to add how I use my tools.  

I use them by trade but being a tool whore I find reasons to need and use them.  I post review videos on youtube sometimes.  I'm going to be making one soon on the Milwaukee 2763 High Impact 1/2" impact, its not a tool I need often but I'm going to be making a review video of it simulating a laminated beam assembly using 150 board ft of 2x16 Microlam.  

That's the next big project I would like to do with the house is put a tankless water heater in. I'm pretty confident with the water connections the parts that I'm not used to is the natural gas piping. I personally do mostly IT work and the networking that goes with it. I don't do too much in cable runs anymore thank god that is not my kind of fun. You really do need to be a jack of all trades to survive in this economy now. I would love to run heavy equipment though it just seems fun as hell :)

That's the next big project I would like to do with the house is put a tankless water heater in. I'm pretty confident with the water connections the parts that I'm not used to is the natural gas piping. :)

Hey DR if you are going to go tankless and use Natural Gas check to see what your delivery pressure is. I know here in Baltimore we have a lot of low pressure systems 10in of water column (less then 1 pound of pressure). I know that some of the tankless units need a min of 8in. That's fine for most of the year but when winter hits and puts a draw on the system from people turning up their heat it can drop down to 5in and your heater will not be able to keep up. Now if you are on a med or high pressure system you will be fine.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some how I missed post in this thread. I'm 24 and a Environmental Services Director (Maintenance Director) at a senior housing facility. Day to day I do all sorts of randomness for painting, to HVAC and from repairing the skid steer to Housekeeping. I do everything. In the evenings me and my dad run a custom wood furniture shop, where we do all kinds of fine woodworking. I'm also a certified high school teacher(robotics, Computers Programing, Fabrication). 

I am a mechanical engineer who instead of engineering does project management for a mechanical contracting company so when we need to design the systems and build I am there to do it.  However I never had any adult role models who worked with tools while i was growing up and as ive been around them more and more through project management I wish i would have gone into the local union for pipefitting and done the engineering at night and once done my apprenticeship was done started my own company.  Now that I am a home owner I have my own little construction site aka my house that I'm always working on.  I really wish i had the tool knowledge at a younger age but I'm getting it here and there.

I'm an industrial boiler service technician, for about 40 years. I worked for a major manufacturer and went all over the world fixing and start ups. Now working main in the northeast USA. Run a small machine/fab shop out of the garage, making boiler parts, race car parts and whatever is needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I run a tech support business and do lots of field technician work and work with everything, from computer software to low voltage cabling, you name it, if runs off a computer you bet i support them and the infrastructure. Im very much a jack of all trades when in it comes to technology, with that said, im a real tool nut, if i can find something that makes my work quicker i will get it. I have a lot of construction and woodworking and general tool know how i learned since i was a kid. I use all kinds of tools in my daily work, specialty IT cabling tools to termination equipment to big power tools. 

There are days when im working out software problems then the next im recabling security and network cables which sometimes involve core drilling. So i do a lot of what an electrician does minus the high voltage stuff plus a lot more. but also spend lots of time just fixing anything electronic.

its fun work, never the same stuff, always a challenge and always a reason to buy a new tool! 

Yea it sucked being 260pnds at the time and working on steep roofs in big bear balancing on a 2by6 and 3 L brackets with nails keeping u from falling from 1-200ft down to rocks and cement while tearing off the old roof shingles. I've seen a lot guys fall and land straight on there knees my uncle being one of them who has to have a 2nd knee surgery for that one fall and everyone I worked with had a fear of fallin I don't think anybody wants to do it for the hell of it.....

during high school worked at a local machine shop part time until I finished school, then they offered me an apprenticeship and became an interprovincial machinist after a few years the shop offered me more training and became a fabrication engineer until I retired, worked for the same company  my entire career ......

• Like 4