Thoughts on the new 40V Max system?

ChristopherRTO

Would have been nice if Makita released the same size of 40V batteries as high Ah on 18v platform and there is no excuse now for them to do it now as I have been asking since 2017 (see my opening post about 21700).

Do not see the use of 40V impact driver and combi driver. as for the rest the 18v tools will be much better use with a HD Batteries if Makita ever release some but I no longer hold my breath about.

In my personal circumstances I am OK with 3-5Ah changing few of them throughout the day.

I would get some 21700 or other high powered batteries if released and beneficiary for the current 18v TXT range  but will not change any of my 18v tools just for the sake of 40v .

• Like 1

I have had every Makita 40v tool available here for 2 months now and the best improvements from the previous 18v and 36v models are the 5" angle grinder which has heaps more grunt. And the hammer drill / combi drill which has more grunt and an electronic clutch system which gives the tool a lot more functionality.

I have done reviews of 6 40v tools on my YT channel.

• Like 1

Entirely correct that these are basically just 36V nominal tools marketed as 40V Max to keep them fully differentiated from the older 36V models. I have seen it stated in a couple places that indeed there will be an adapter to let you use a pair of LXT batteries on XGT tools, effectively making them work the same as LXT X2. I don’t know how ahead they planned on that to ensure that said adapter will fit ALL XGT tools, however.

For the most part it appears Makita wants this to look like a serious upgrade having made improvements over almost all the tools as opposed to merely recycling X2 gear. Per Tools And Stuff’s videos above, it does seem some tools are a more substantial upgrade vs their LXT counterparts than others.

I still have a hard time not perceiving XGT as a largely redundant platform. I feel Makita mostly made them to appease the percentage of contractors who are inflexible to the idea of using two batteries they already have on a tool and would rather buy additional larger batteries just to use one at a time. However there are a handful of tools where a single larger battery CAN make ergonomic sense. A more powerful, 1/2” router for example, as well as larger grinders. Personally I don’t need any currently available XGT tools enough to want to buy any of them yet, but if I change my mind I suspect I will be more than happy just using LXT batteries with the adapter.

• Like 1

I like Dewalt approach on the batteries and tools where you could use 18v tools with HD Flexi Vault batteries.

I wanted MAKITA to make this the same with the new 40v batteries but with chip inside the batteries themselves to make the switch so they are compatible with the old LXT range.

I got nearly all Makita 18v tools (one of each of cource :)) and most likely will not replace them ever due to my work condition which never changes( residential repairs and maintenance) but I need to replace the batteries from time to time.

Still hope after so many Years waiting Makita will releases 18v HD Batteries.

• 3 months later...

the great thing about dual battery 18V tools is they allow the consumer to opt for more power with existing packs/chargers. so it's more of a universal makita system. you probably don't need the extra power on a lot of your cordless tools, but high-wattage items like circular saws and chain saws can always use extra power

with dual battery 18V tools there is no reason for 40V stand-alone tools, except to market a new flavor extension and eventually induce 18V owners to buy tools they wouldnt otherwise need. it's true makita is currently maintaining support/improvement of the 18V line, but how long do you think that will last as production shifts to 40V products?

i suppose a dual battery 40V chainsaw could handle an 18" bar and be an awesome tool, and dual battery 40V might do a few other amazing things, but i doubt makita is planning anything like that

if makita just wanted to take advantage of improved cell tech/sizes, all that could done within the 18V LXT format

in short, multiple lines means redundant purchases, and that's the only reason behind this 'upgrade'

On that note, I’ve seen noise about XGT X2 tools (so 80V Max, 72V nominal) being on the way, as well as a swank dual bevel job-site 8.5” miter. Naturally they will be introduced in Asia first then presumably Europe and Australia/NZ. The US still has yet to even see any XGT at all, but it’s announced that they will be on the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only reason for me to go XGT would be the XGT X2 tools, though I see that the 5" grinder would be a deal maker for some people. Most of the single battery XGT tools I would use are already available as 18v x2, (circ saw, rotary hammer) which is a platform I'm already using. For those high-draw tools (5" and 9" grinder, SDS-Max rotary hammer, table saw etc), I personally prefer Hikoki (Metabo HPT) Multivolt platform, simply because of the availability of AC-DC adapter, so I dont have to waste cycles on my batteries when using a tool for a longer period  of time on a spot, with AC power available from a reasonable distance away.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently saw it suggests elsewhere something along the lines of some potential for Sawstop to lobby OSHA to require their blade retraction design on all tablesaws sold in the US, and Makita doesn’t want to have anything to do with it. Sounds like a stretch to be perfectly honest, I was under the impression their patent was close to expiring.

The other major thing coming is Dewalt’s parent on rack and pinion fences is close to expiring as well, which is why the feature is suddenly appearing on assorted née tablesaws in the market. If we’re lucky, Makita may be among the ones jumping on board.

• 10 months later...

I have 20+ LXT tools, but if I have to buy a whole new incompatible system for a few higher power tools, why would I go with a system that's more expensive, has fewer tools, an unknown future? Making XGT batteries not compatible with all the tools I already own was a tactical error from Makita that has cost them a life long customer. Milwaukee has 30x more tools that accept their 40v battery so its an easy choice.