Drill choice

IOWAJC85

Welcome to the forum.

My hammer drill may be toggled to normal drilling, so I use that single tool for both types of drilling operations. My drill has been retired to be a spare tool on my boat.

The impact driver tool is used for fastener insertion removal.

In my case, two tools are required, not three.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, Badgerstate said:

You typically would only use the hammer function when drilling into brick or concrete, not when driving screws.  I would say that if you have a drill and a hammer drill, you probably don't really need an impact driver unless you just want something that is faster.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I must disagree, the impact driver is the best tool for driving / removing fasteners. The impact driver is very effective, causing the least damage to the head, providing the best results, as compared to using a drill or using hand tools.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wingless said:

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I must disagree, the impact driver is the best tool for driving / removing fasteners. The impact driver is very effective, causing the least damage to the head, providing the best results, as compared to using a drill or using hand tools.

True but do you absolutely need it?  I work in an auto plant where I use a Milwaukee M12 (non Fuel) drill driver all day long.  At home, I have a DeWalt Xtreme 12v screw driver (non impact) and other than the Milwaukee being faster, Ive seen little to no difference in how they perform.  Is the Milwakee faster?  Sure but I don't see myself replacing the DeWalt until either both batteries fail or the drill itself fails.