wingless' Bosch RH540M SDS-Max Combination Rotary / Hammer

wingless

The latest remodel project for me and my daughter requires a SDS-Max hammer tool. I selected the Bosch RH540M and decided on the rebuilt tool available from CPO Outlets on Amazon for the huge cost savings.

That selection was a great decision. The tool arrived quickly. The tool has a new enclosure, cord, case, manual and grease tube. The operation feels like a new tool. The tool includes a one year repair warranty.

Here is the manual.

The tool has a collar sleeve that is pulled back to the handle to insert or remove the SDS-Max bit. The bit splines are keyed to only insert at one orientation. There is a large paddle switch for on/off, easy to operate even wearing gloves. The auxiliary handle is easy to position at any 360° orientation, twist to loosen / tighten. There is a variable speed numeric speed dial control. The large selector lever permits changing the mode, from hammer drilling to hammer, also permitting the rotation of the bit to be selected prior to hammer, 12 positions available.

The tool has a clutch for hammer operation, requiring the bit to be pushed into the surface to start the hammer.

The first operation was bathroom floor tile removal. That went fine, with the biggest butt pain being waste removal. 

Tool operation should include protection for hearing, eyes and skin.

1586364100_Bosch5.jpg.065e50ec92ee7ac2da042950edeffef4.jpg

888161080_Bosch4.thumb.jpg.1d32446915b2d1513540441c4a3fc05f.jpg

Bosch 1.jpg

Bosch 2.jpg

Bosch 3.jpg

• Like 1

• wingless changed the title to wingless' Bosch RH540M SDS-Max Combination Rotary / Hammer

My SDS-Max tile and thinset removal tool has been VERY handy. I have used it to remove two houses of wall to wall tile. It works great to remove tiles and thinset, usually intact.

The tool is uncoated steel that will rust, so maintain an oil coating whenever the tool is stored for surface protection.

The only deficiency on this tool are the fasteners retaining the blade to the shaft. The fasteners get unbelievably hot during usage, greatly exceeding the Nylock nut 220°F maximum operating temperature, permitting the nuts to loosen and the bolts to break.

Any decent size project will quickly consume both sets of fasteners.

My solution was instead to switch to hardened metric M10-1.5 fasteners and use distorted thread lock nuts. Those nuts don't have a specified maximum operating temperature. That hardware change was effective, using this Class 12.9 M10-1.5x40 bolt, this Class 12 M10-1.5 nut and this Class 10 M10-1.5 distorted thread nut.

SDS Tile Tool 2.jpg

SDS Tile Tool 1.jpg

SDS Tile Tool 3.jpg

SDS Tile Tool 4.jpg

Great idea.  I had something similar I used years back to remove a floor.  Mine ended up holding up but years later, I took it out of the drawer and it was all rusty.  Great idea with oiling up, never thought about that when I was done.

Also great to know about the hardware because i have heard the same issue with other.

The rusting on mine was also discovered after the fact. My resolution for eliminating the rust was to first use a utility knife blade to hand scrape the surface, then sanded to attain the condition shown in the images. It has maintained in that condition for over a year w/ the light oiling.

• 1 year later...

The TEMCo TH0376 5/8" SDS Max ground rod driving adapter provides amazing results.

This permits driving a ground rod (like a hot knife through butter) w/o difficulty. I used this to bury four 10' ground rods, two for the house, two for the detached shed / workshop, having a sub panel.

Unlike my prior Primitive Pete efforts, using my mini Thor hammer, the exposed end looks almost pristine, w/ zero mushrooming impact damage.

In one instance the rod found a rock. It paused for a second, then continued on to the desired depth w/o any extra effort on my part.

The only "difficulty" was having to start 10' up on a step ladder, but IMO that was not an issue.

Images shows one rod driven below grade holding the vertical tool and the second ready to be driven.

51706269566_deb8476967_c.jpg

51706592002_676a760392_c.jpg

51707390156_a4fe18bc44_c.jpg

51707648268_6a75463343_c.jpg

51708259830_9fbbb04a73_c.jpg

Wish I had known about this adapter a few months ago.  I know my SDS-Plus hammers lack the power of your Bosch, but anything is better than driving the rods in by hand.  I didn't know what we were doing when I packed my tools to go work on the flipper house, so I only brought framing hammers.  We ended up buying a DeWalt 2.5lb hammer at the behest of my brother, which broke before the rod was halfway driven.  I wished at the time I had one of my 4lb hammers or even a picket pounder.  Now I may have to invest in this adapter for future projects.

• 1 year later...