Toughsystem Mods/Organization

jslsker

I'm seeing more mods to Packout than Tough System. I think the hardcore modular storage users were slightly disappointed with TS2.0. While it is an improvement in some areas over TS1.0, I don't think it is what users really wanted in a TS2.0. Sure you got the vast majority of people who just need a storage system. The flaws in Tough System aren't a deal breaker for them. If it stores the items they need it to store then thats good enough. As someone who has invested roughly $1000 into TS1.0 I am finding it harder and harder to justify getting more Tough System. Some products in the line are in short supply others I just don't need. If I had to start over with a new modular system (in addition to my systainers) I would most definitely go with Packout considering they are getting the E-track shelves and drawer units. I'd like to see Milwaukee become a Packout dealer like Tanos. 

• Like 3

I'm too far into the Toughsystem for Packout.   I really wish it would've come out earlier, definitely far more option.   I like some of the T-Stak options.   Wish there was more middle ground between the Toughsystem and T-Stak.   T-Stak seems more functional but you need more boxes.   Toughsystem you need fewer but those boxes can get pretty heavy and overloaded.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 9:07 PM, WoodShopGnome said:

It would be interesting if someone created an adapter plate that clipped onto T-Stak, and allowed Packout modules to connect to that (and vice-versa).  There are several people selling the clips and feet for Packout boxes, but I haven't seen any one doing the same thing for T_Stak boxes yet (might have just missed them).

Very smart something to integrate tough system and packout would be sick 

I recently picked up the ToughSystem 2.0 stack from Home Depot and used it this past weekend.  The improvements over the first generation are obvious, though I incorporated a couple of 1.0 boxes for this past weekend's project.  The automatic clips are more positive and less flimsy than the plastic clips of the original, the boxes themselves just feel more substantial, and the removeable organizer boxes in the small box are great (I filled them up with M12 batteries, an M12 USB charger, and random other things before diverting one for use as a drywall screw/wire nut box).  A first generation small box and organizer clipped in nicely regardless of where I placed them in the stack.

I was going to use one of my Packout systems, but currently I only have shallow organizers (one full size and four [maybe six] half-width).  The ToughSystem organizer was loaded so I didn't even transfer stuff to the two new 2.0 half-width organizers.  I tossed an eclectic assortment of M12, M18, Ridgid, and DeWalt tools in the bottom box and headed south for the project.

The Packout system is nice but as a non-professional I just haven't been able to bring myself to advertise the fact that I own expensive tools and storage.  DeWalt (and Ridgid) are much more subdued in color scheme and fit my needs while travelling.  Plus, for some odd reason I'm not as concerned about damaging those boxes as I am about breaking one of my Packouts.  With that said, however, I see a lot of Packout boxes in the beds of professional contractors these days.  If you have the money and/or the need for the additional modularity, Packout seems to be the way to go (though I may spray paint mine purple...just in case).

I probably wouldn't worry about my packout if I had any, but I am normally careful with my boxes anyways. Packout may be more expensive than Tough System but you are also getting more strength. Video demos showed it resisting what looked like 12in concrete block while Tough System failed. Do I need that level of protection? It is unlikely I would need this level of protection but I know if I had Packout I won't have to worry about them breaking. This is only if these tests are truthful. The tests I saw were from Milwaukee themselves from an nps coverage.

15 hours ago, Jronman said:

One step closer to being more like Tanos? Will you be keeping the lid and handles black?

If I decide to paint the boxes, it would probably be just a couple of quick sprays with some paint, to both deter thieves and to identify my boxes from a distance.  The lids and handles would stay black.

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, Altan said:

DeWALT is slow in developing its Toughsystem, Toughcase+ and 12V platforms.

Yeah. Tough System 2.0 was a step in the right Direction in many ways but I think at this point Tough System the biggest issue with Tough System still lies with the mechanism for latching boxes together. I would keep the side handles to retain compatibility with Tough System Wall Racks but change the lid latches to be more like Packout.

My problem with DeWALT Toughsystem is the insert foams for their different tools, they do not produce insert foam for all their tools, also not Toughsystem Caddy, not Toughsystem Vac. Or maybe instead of foam just solid plastic. And why not in yellow colour, or maybe the lid in yellow at least!