Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt or Irwin

Eric - TIA

Guest Alex Bybee

In my years of doing electrical with my dad and now a new industrial company I have found that the dewalt bits tend to last longer that most others we have bought

Shock wave bits don't last nearly as long as the Dewalt impact bits... Shockwave's strip way to easy and bend easy from what I've seen...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0544017P/DeWALT+Magnetic+ToughCase+Impact+Ready+Accessory+Set%2C+20-pc.jsp?locale=en

Spade bits and most other big bore bits by far Irwin, I use mastercraft spade bit ones that work very good but no match for speedbor...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0540688P/IRWIN+Speedbor+Max+Wood++3-piece+Boring+Bit+Set.jsp?locale=en

Regular old drill bits I use Mastercraft from Canadian tire.... Don't need anything fancy for that... Have black oxide and titanium coated for that... Has everything you need for a home owner DIY guy and all work quite good and I got them on sale like here for 39.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0543577P/Mastercraft+Drill%2BDriving+Accessory+Bit+Set%2C+246-pc.jsp?locale=en

Step bits I use these here, picked them up for 9.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0540698P/Mastercraft+Step+Drill+Set%2C+3-pc.jsp?locale=en

Shock wave bits don't last nearly as long as the Dewalt impact bits... Shockwave's strip way to easy... Spade bits and most other big bore bits by far Irwin... regular old drill bits I use Mastercraft from Canadian tire.... Don't need anything fancy for that

Do you have any of the irwin auger bits?

I have the 3 pack set of speed bore... Crazy good bits Far as actual big auger bits nope, none of those

This is the set I have

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/PowerToolAccessories/DrillBitsSetsAccessories/PRD~0540688P/IRWIN+Speedbor+Max+Wood++3-piece+Boring+Bit+Set.jsp?locale=en

The Shockwave bits are the best in terms of performance, but they don't last as long as the Dewalt. Impact bits are consumables. You don't buy a Corvette to save on gas. No experience with Makita gold. Irwin's Cobalt bits are very nice for real metal work. Dewalt's Gold Ferrious pilot points breeze through thin sheet metal, but they don't hold up in 12-10 gauge. Norseman Super Premium are awesome bits for metal and can be had for about the same as the Irwins.

But in regards to impact bits, the Dewalt's will last longer, but you'll strip more screws. Milwaukee wears out faster, but you'll rarely ever strip a fastener.

• Like 1

I bought a set of Milwaukee black oxide drill bits a while back from Lowes. The have no problem going through whatever I put in front of them.

I love all my DeWalt stuff and always will because I can always count on it.  But, lets face it Milwaukee makes stuff pretty damn good.

The Shockwave bits are the best in terms of performance, but they don't last as long as the Dewalt. Impact bits are consumables. You don't buy a Corvette to save on gas. No experience with Makita gold. Irwin's Cobalt bits are very nice for real metal work. Dewalt's Gold Ferrious pilot points breeze through thin sheet metal, but they don't hold up in 12-10 gauge. Norseman Super Premium are awesome bits for metal and can be had for about the same as the Irwins.

But in regards to impact bits, the Dewalt's will last longer, but you'll strip more screws. Milwaukee wears out faster, but you'll rarely ever strip a fastener.

I rarely strip a screw with my Dewalt's, If I wasn't using proper pressure I would but with proper pressure behind my Impact it puts the screw right in... Built the whole deck here on each one robertson "2 bit on my impact and the father in laws... all about proper pressure... We each drove hundreds probably into the thousand or more of galvanized deck screws from 3 1/2" to 1" and still haven't ruined the bits

1010052_10152082994529012_1073767282_n.j

I've used both fairly extensively. I stand behind my observation. Proper pressure is easy to maintain in some places, other times not so much. Bits and blades are consumables, it's important to regard them as such. I've found that using Robertson, Torx, or ECX screws reduces bit consumption drastically. What many people don't realize is that the Phillips screw is purposely inferior. It was designed to cam out rather than be "over tightened".

• Like 1

For impact bits, i've used: Dewalt, milwaukee, makita, ridgid, kobalt, and wera

Best Impact bits are hands down no competition: wera

http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05073891002-Impaktor-Mini-Check-Carded/dp/B005HFN39I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1376545428&sr=8-6&keywords=wera+impaktor

with
http://www.amazon.com/Wera-05073990002-Impaktor-Holder-Ringmagnet/dp/B005HFN1WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376545515&sr=8-1&keywords=wera+impaktor+holder

Second contender i would say is: dewalt

For Drill bits: IMO the Dewalt titanium 

Spade bits: bosch daredevil, then irwin

Masonary: bosch

I haven't been impressed with any of the big box store brands to be honest when it comes to Phillips bits. They all strip out at the tips, or just shatter from the forces. The worse bits I ever used were some Kobalt bit's Lowes had on sale they were so bad for Impact rated bits they either shattered or stripped out after driving one screw worst bits ever I know they were on sale but I wouldn't have spent a penny on shitty quality like that.

Guest John Xiong

I would say Dewalt impact ready bits are my favorite. They seem not strip as easy and I've never broken a bit while using an impact driver. Milwaukee shockwaves are great except for the Phillips bits, they seem to slip too much. Kobalt is a good value since Lowes always has sales going.

Worth a read: click

.....That being said, I keep both Milwaukee and DeWalt bits on my truck. I do think the DeWalt bits hold up a little better. But, I always reach for the Milwaukee for two reasons: The case is smaller and it has the longer bits. 

I use mine for fairly easy work though, so my opinion might differ than those who use them extensively.