Introduction and drill/driver recommendation

zacolton

Hey there everyone. I'm 20 and have recently begun to experience the joy of using my hands to build and repair! My family is not very handy so I have to learn everything myself or wherever I can find those willing to teach and I hope I can learn a lot from all of you.

I am about to purchase my first drill/driver with a gift card to Lowes I received for my bday. Currently there is a sale on and there are two great looking drills on sale for the same price I never imagined would be in my price range so soon. They are the new 20 volt lithium battery powered drill/driver by dewalt (dcd780c2) and the 18 volt nicad battery powered drill/driver also by dewalt (dcd760ka). While the reviews seem to be fairly comparable as is their power apparently and their price, from what I have read the 20 volt is faster (2000rpm compared to 1700rpm) while the 18 volt has more torque (410uwo compared to 350uwo). I do not know enough about these specs yet to know which drill I should purchase. I am currently leaning towards the 20 volt but I would really appreciate your opinions and they will certainly greatly influence my decision. Below are the links and power specs for both drills for more info. While the website says the 18 volt is pricier right now they are actually the same price in store.

20 volt lithium drill: http://www.lowes.ca/drills/dewalt-20-volt-12-in-cordless-lithium-ion-compact-drilldriver-with-case_g1189624.html?isku=8780448&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

-Speed: 600-2000 rpm

-Power: 350 uwo

18 volt nicad drill:http://www.lowes.ca/drills/dewalt-18-volt-12-in-cordless-compact-driver-kit_g1333862.html?isku=9623034&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

-Speed: 500-1700 rpm

-Power: 410 uwo

Cheers, Thanks

The Dewalt 20v lithium ion powered drill is much much better than the old 18v Nicad you were looking at. You will get more run time with the 20v drill. Lithium is the only way to go now if your looking to invest serious money in power tools, but unless your really on a tight budget lithium powered tools are the only way to go. Too bad they don't have the 20V Porter Cable line up in Canada yet because I would suggest also getting a kit with an Impact Driver also like this kit http://www.lowes.com/pd_234292-34252-PCCK602L2_0__?productId=4751832&Ntt=porter+cable+20v&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable%2B20v&facetInfo=

It's a clone of the Dewalt 20v line except at a lower price. The 20V Dewalt for 158 looks like the best deal from what I could see from lowes Canadian web page.

i dont think the newer one comes with batteries and charger, its just a bare tool (skin). it looks like you could get an 18v li-iion set of porter cable (never tried them myself), or a bosch kit :) from there. 

or you could find a way to turn that gift card into cash (sell or use for something else), and buy from somewhere else. if you're after a compact drill driver, the dewalt dcd780 (or better 790) or boschDDS181-02 would be great choices... 

Don't go with any Ni-Cad kit. Lithium is much better, especially for someone who isn't going to be using daily. The Lithium packs get better runtime, have no memory effect, nor do they self discharge after a short time like Ni-Cad packs do. The 20V max system also gives you the benefit of being invested in the current line whereas Ni-Cad is slowly being phased out making it difficult to add additional bare tools and calling into question the long term support availability. Go 20V by all means. If you're tied to Lowe's for your purchase, Bosch and Hitachi are both good brands as well. Whatever brand you choose, go Lithium.

The Dewalt 20v lithium ion powered drill is much much better than the old 18v Nicad you were looking at. You will get more run time with the 20v drill. Lithium is the only way to go now if your looking to invest serious money in power tools, but unless your really on a tight budget lithium powered tools are the only way to go. Too bad they don't have the 20V Porter Cable line up in Canada yet because I would suggest also getting a kit with an Impact Driver also like this kit http://www.lowes.com/pd_234292-34252-PCCK602L2_0__?productId=4751832&Ntt=porter+cable+20v&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dporter%2Bcable%2B20v&facetInfo=

It's a clone of the Dewalt 20v line except at a lower price. The 20V Dewalt for 158 looks like the best deal from what I could see from lowes Canadian web page.

They are here in Canada, my local hardware store had a bunch of kits a few months back

To the OP, Go with the Dewalt 20v, you won't be disappointed... Lithium Ion is by far the way to go now in cordless tools

If you can wait you can usually get the impact/drill kit for 199 at certain stores like canadian tire...

GO lithium ion!!!! I cant stand using ni cad tools now, the difference is crazy!!! DeWalt 20v is a good tool, you wont need the brushless motor being a begginer and homeowner, The 780 is great, but for that weight, I would pay the extra $10 and get the 785 hammer drill, this will give you the added feature of drilling masonry, concrete etc for only $10!!!! Make sure you check out the other drills at Lowes to see whats out there!