What happened if we Leave an Air Compressor Pressurized?

Rick Writer

I am confused about what will happened if I Leave an Air Compressor Pressurized, is it gonna explode or the air will come out after some time, and what damages it can do to the compressor. And for how long we can keep it pressurized?

My understanding is that is causes more pressures on seals.  At least that is what someone told me once.  I guess I have the heard mentality, which isn't always good.  I just empty it if it's going to be sitting for more than a week.  I know when you empty it, it's good to drain the water inside to prevent rust.  With all that said, I had a Husky compressor that I would leave pressurized always and I never had a problem.

• Like 1

An air compressor tank is designed to remain pressurized 24/7/365.

The best method for control of water condensed from air water vapor is to install an automatic tank drain purge valve, that burps  air / water out from a bottom bung to a drain location.

Every air compressor already includes an unloader / check valve, that automatically purges the pressurized air between the tank and the compressor, so the compressor is free to start against atmospheric pressure, instead of struggling to start against a pressurized tank. That is the audible hiss after the compressor stops.

• Like 2