Why are Brushless Drills Better?

Rick Writer

I am thinking of buying a drill online, but got confused between the brushless and brush drill, can you suggest which one is better and why, and which one is more reliable for long life. I don't want to buy anything crap and waste my money. 

Brushless is more efficient, so you will get more power and longer run time.  They claim the motor itself will last longer too.  IMO, brushless is a little overrated but if you want the best, most powerful tool; you cant go wrong with brushless.

I own brushed and brushless tools and they both do the job they were built to do.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brushless drills are the here and now, man!  Brushed tools belong in classic episodes of Home Improvement and museums.  🤡

Seriously, most of my cordless tools are brushless.  I like the compactness, power, efficiency, and so on of these.  That said, the biggest fallback to brushless tools is same thing that makes them so great, their reliance on electronics and circuitry.  While fairly rare, a faulty or damaged circuit board or switch can lead to expensive repairs or replacement.  Brushes wear out, but many brushes are easily replaced and can give a tool multiple lifetimes.  

I draw my opinions from my days as a material handling equipment technician specializing in electric fork trucks.  I've swapped out many a set of brushes on the basic machines.  Brushes and/or contacts were the cause of a lot of issues with the various Crown, Halla, and other equipment I diagnosed and repaired.  Some of the more computerized equipment, though, such as rail or wire guided turret stock pickers, had complex circuit boards that would cost the customer a lot more to replace.  

Then again, I'm just bored at work and waiting to see how backed up the gas stations are on the way home.  If my truck was electric, I'd be happy regardless of whether it used brushed or brushless motors!  😁

• 3 months later...

As far as my understanding the main difference between brushless and brush drill is that the brushless drill's motor adjusts according to your tasks, have more power and compact. However, they are also more expensive. So, if you are low on budget you may go with the brush drill but I personally recommend the brushless drills because it also has low maintenance and larger life span.

• 1 month later...

I usually think in terms more of cord and battery.

If not made obsolete by battery changes by the manufacturer, the smaller format battery tools are much more delicate and don’t last as long.

There are times having no cord is great because of the convenience but corded tools always have more power. I think the brushless tools have a lot of power but still not like corded tools.

A brushed motor is the one with a regular electric motor. Brushes are present in such motors and, you will notice that these brushes wear down over time and need to be replaced. 

A brushless motor, on the other hand, does not contain brushes and saves you from such trouble. It has been observed that brushless cordless drills come with a heavier price than brushed cordless drills. Nevertheless, brushless cordless drills are preferred over brushed cordless drills.

• 2 months later...