Sears Craftsman Radial Arm Saw - Stuck Bevel?

Pcooper114

Hi everyone, first post. New-ish to wood working, so forgive me if any of this doesn't make sense. 

So I was fortunate enough to inherit some of my late grandfather's tools. Lots of machinery from the 60s and 70s, and most of it works flawlessly. 

The 10" radial arm saw was one that I particularly excited to put to work, but it would appear that he never used the bevel feature that would angle the blade. I loosen the bevel lock knob and pull the bevel pin, but it doesn't budge. The bolt that has the bevel lock knob appears to be the only thing that keeps the motor attached to the arm, and I can't move it at all. 

I tried putting some WD40 on it and let it sit for a day, but no luck. 

Anyone have any thoughts or tips?

20210108_173942.jpg

20210108_173958.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hey how goes it!? I face the exact same issue as you and am also new to this saw and woodwork.  Other posts suggest using a 3/4 socket for the nut but. There is no tool to grip this nut. I just started with the liquid wrench and Pb Blaster. Still no luck.  One man mentioned a machine press to release the nut which is extravagant but possibly necessary...any luck since your post??