Roofing Nailer / MultiVolt Circular Saw Combo

fm2176

So, I stumbled across one of these at two separate Lowe's locations this past weekend (description and price after my comments, in case the link disappears): https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metabo-HPT-was-Hitachi-Power-Tools-Framing-Finish-2-Tool-Kit/1003008470

I have to admit, my first thought was "hmmm, I might need that.  Then I thought better...I don't have a pressing need for a roofing nailer and I already have premium saws from DeWalt, Ridgid, and Milwaukee.  So, I didn't really pay too much attention to it, rather looking it up when I got home before realizing that the nailer is pneumatic.  So, a pneumatic nailer, cordless circular saw, battery and charger for under $300.  The nailer alone sells for $10 more, and the bare tool saw is $179 (or $517 in kit form including battery, charger, and power adapter).

Given the steep drop in price, I'd venture to say that this wasn't an overly possible combination at its original price point.  How many pros use MetaboHPT cordless tools, and what would be the likelihood of someone in the market for a pneumatic nailer paying extra for a cordless saw (or vice versa)?  Anyway, the price is below.  If I still had the Hitachi impact driver I gave away, or if I needed a roofing nailer, this might be at my house now.  I think I will keep an eye on them, though, in hopes of another price drop.
$279.00
Actual price was $607.00
$607.00Save $328.00 
Offer ends on Jan 29
Ends Jan 29

Metabo HPT (was Hitachi Power Tools) 1.75-in 15-Degree Pneumatic Roofing Nailer

Item #2635004Model #KITNV45C36M

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went back yesterday and it was marked down to $251.  After thinking about it for over 24 hours I went back and pulled the trigger.  Out the door price was $270.91 for the kit, a box of 1-1/4" nails, and a bottle of air tool oil.

I figure I'll compare the saw against my FlexVolt worm drive style, Gen 1 M18 Fuel, and Ridgid brushless (decent, but it bogs down much easier than the other two).  For better or worse, this also opens the door for if and when I find more MetaboHPT deals (I passed on a Triple Hammer kit last year, but if I find such a deal again I may have some more Green tools.  

They had a flooring/decking collated screwgun marked down to $63 from $279, but the display was all that was left.  I debated asking about it, but I have three DeWalt 20v Max screwguns (two with collated attachments), a corded DeWalt, and a corded Senco collated screwgun.  The extended reach of the MetaboHPT was tempting, but a good pair of kneepads should suffice for future flooring projects.

• Like 1

Well, I used the saw last night to cut some wet 2x4s for the fire pit and it cut with ease.  The first thing that surprised me was how compact and light the saw seems.  I'll have to stack it up against the Ridgid, which i probably the closest in weight...the Fuel may be close but the DeWalt worm drive is nowhere close.

Two other things that are nice, and which aren't on other saws that I know of are the ability to turn off the light and a "Quiet Mode" that can be used for lightweight materials.