Well, That Was Anti-Climatic (2021 Inauguration)

fm2176

Despite the subject, I'll try to leave politics out of this.  If anyone feels a need to bring them up, please do so respectfully.

Over the past few months I've been a fringe player in the recent Inauguration, working to ensure that key pieces melded together while staying out of the big picture and avoiding any direct exposure to the events themselves.  This past week saw our schedule flipped as the team and I worked to bring all of the military elements together during a wholly unique transition of power in our Executive Branch of government.  I had the honor of being a part of the Inaugural Parade and a bunch Inaugural events years ago, so I know the amount of time, effort, and (let's face it) shenanigans that go along with the formalities during a normal Inauguration.  Let's just say that the downsized celebrations were welcome considering the pandemic and the violence that has taken place since last year.

As we ramped up to 1200 on Wednesday, I wondered what-if anything-might happen.  National Guardsmen were in DC in droves, and when I missed a turn going into work I got to drive past the heavily fortified Capitol (a uniform and proper ID worked wonders, and no, I have no insight as to the Guardsmen since I'm on Active status and there's this whole Posse Comitatus thing...).  I was wondering what might transpire and was relieved to see that it was uneventful.  

I may be moving to yet another very unique assignment before retirement, but this career has already taken me to places I never fathomed as a young(er) FM2176 looking to simply join the Infantry and go to war.  Sure, I've done the whole war thing, back when it was "fun" as we toppled Saddam's regime in 2003, but I've also helped young men and women to enlist, turned them from civilians into Infantry Soldiers, rendered final honors in Arlington National Cemetery, taken part in multiple national events, worked in higher headquarters in Afghanistan, and served in positions that enabled me to help victims or save Soldiers from their own dark thoughts.  I've met Presidents, Medal of Honor recipients, Wounded Warriors, celebrities, and too many others to mention; not bad for a kid that grew up in a trailer park.

As a proud Virginian with roots that go back some 400 years, as a Soldier who's carried on a tradition of service dating to the 1600's, and as an American, I hope this nation continues to endure even during the most trying times.  Before long I'll fade away from federal service and plan to continue serving my community in a vocation that is more unpopular now than ever.  In the meantime I'll keep up my tool addiction, create oddities as I get the inspiration, and maybe even hone my skills one of these days (ideally while keeping my digits and natural beauty 🤡).

Anyway, back to the tools!  America will always need tradesmen and builders!

• Like 3

Thank you for your service.  That is a crazy long history and something to be proud of.  You have done more in your career than most people in this country and world have done in a lifetime, which says a lot on it's own.  A lot of people like to talk the talk but you have walked the walk and I respect every aspect of that. It's people like you who have made my life easier and can never thank you enough.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1