Ryobi Days?

fm2176

Does anyone look forward to this event?  It seems to be hit or miss in terms of overall value, and a thread on another forum shows a lot of displeasure over last year's event.  For those who don't keep up with the sale, it boils down to an annual event with Home Depot displaying a large center aisle promo at the front of the store, usually in the form of a battery starter kit or basic drill kit for $99 with free bare tool.  The kit may differ year to year, as does the max price on the "free" bare tool.

I picked up my first Ryobi One+ tool during Ryobi Days a few years ago and feel as though I got a good deal.  That year, the kit was a "30-minute" multi-chemistry charger with 3.0 HP batteries, and I picked up the pole saw to use at a project house.  Since then, I've gotten a couple of other promos but nothing to write home about.

If anything, I'd say that Ryobi Days is great for the casual homeowner and kinda "meh" for dedicated tool users and/or tool junkies.  In other words, if you're starting out, or if you need one of the free tools there are worse ways to go.  If you already have a lot of tools, Ryobi Days' free tool selection will probably seem lackluster or just not worth it.  For example, the free tool can be anything from an inflator that goes on sale for $20 to a multi-port charger or radio that are normally $79, making deal-conscious buyers have to choose between something they may need or a better bargain.  Then too there are those who use the buy and return method, returning the bare tool (or kit) and getting something they need for cheap.  While I've never done this, I can imagine that using this to return a "free" $79 item is well worth it if someone wants/needs the inflator, as the latter is so inexpensive regularly.  

Any thoughts on Ryobi's most hyped non-holiday event?  

I am guessing it's a great way to get people into the door and that's why they always have it.  For me, i am not so excited about it because as you said, it's kind of all the same each time.  Even during Christmas, it's just the same kits.

I have Ryobi tools that i like but for our HD, the Ryobi days isn't anything special.  It has a couple of kits and a free tool or battery.  I would get excited it they brought other tools that Home Depot normally doesn't carry and offer a good price, then i could get excited.  The Ryobi line is huge, but very limited at HD.

• 3 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, Eric - TIA said:

I am guessing it's a great way to get people into the door and that's why they always have it.  For me, i am not so excited about it because as you said, it's kind of all the same each time.  Even during Christmas, it's just the same kits.

I have Ryobi tools that i like but for our HD, the Ryobi days isn't anything special.  It has a couple of kits and a free tool or battery.  I would get excited it they brought other tools that Home Depot normally doesn't carry and offer a good price, then i could get excited.  The Ryobi line is huge, but very limited at HD.

Many of the stores I frequent have a diverse selection of Ryobi tools (usually far larger than other brands), but they do seem to be the same offerings from store to store.  Also, the Ryobi stuff is spread out.  Some cordless and hybrid lights are only offered in Lighting, I've seen fans displayed in Electrical, and when they offered pool accessories a few years ago, those were in Lawn and Garden.  This isn't to mention the OPE which Home Depot seems to have color coordinated now (my local store has Ryobi, DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee all grouped together by brand instead of by type now).  

I agree, though, it's a great way to get people into the door, and for those building up a collection of Ryobi tools, there are worse ways to get extra batteries and chargers.  I've seen the previews for this year's event, but will likely pass unless I decide to pick up some gifts.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've gotten my share of this year's Ryobi Days offerings.  A couple of days ago I bought a friend the starter kit and he picked out the 200 CFM blower, I got myself a starter kit and the new-ish inverter.  

After giving my oldest daughter one of the clamp fans I picked up a few weeks ago, along with a charger and one of the new batteries, I grabbed another starter kit yesterday morning, this time opting for the jigsaw.  I picked up some Diablo blades and did a bit of cutting yesterday to feed the wood stove and burn barrel.

I'm tempted to get the 8" chainsaw, but really don't need it as I have the Ryobi 8" pole saw and the DeWalt 12" chainsaw, along with a Ryobi 20" gas saw.