Starlock; adaptors?

Tug

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I am curious, is the adapter working fine still after some time?

I did the same experiment in 2020.  At the time there were several adapters available, one by the oslo tool company out in western Europe, and a few on ebay from other countries.  I bought an adapter from someone operating in Russia.  I think it was about $40 including shipping.

s-l1600x3.thumb.jpg.681d13b21d8ca563d2afbe32843369f8.jpg

The adapter came and the fitment was fine and i was able to cut with it.  However, I think the metal used for the adapter was not hard enough or the Starlock simply overpowers it at higher speeds.

My adapter uses an allen wrench to secure the blade to the adapter.

IMG-20201029-163111.jpg.d917d91df53c104e3503c69e0662bf7f.jpg

well the allen wrench is harder then the adapter itself.  After a few tightening and untightening, the hex shape recessed hole is slightly deformed.

IMG-20201029-163134.jpg.51346cd873449c74c2e68602db3e3251.jpg

A close up.

hex-key.jpg.69acb2eca2fe002b246705c6a87fa546.jpg

and the usage was fine at lower speeds like when you do sanding or removing caulk or light duty flush cutting a baseboard.

But once you turn on high speed, trying to cut out some mortar witha diamond blade or notch a hard framing lumber with embedded nails, the OMT overpowers the adapter and the blade will spin loose.

I was afraid this may happen as the Starlock "3D" interface is to transfer more power for the cutting and once you dial it up to 5 or 6 I feel excessive vibration and these blades come loose too often too easy.  So I stopped using it.

Would love to hear how the oslo company's adapter work after being used for a while especially whether it was able to withstand the higher power modes without busting loose or even deforming the adapter.