EGO Quality

Illini

For those of you who have used EGO products before, how would you rate their quality? I’m looking to get into a battery platform for a push lawn more this summer and I’m potentially looking for a two stage snowblower for the winter.  I like Makita and the quality of Makita’s products so I was going to go with one of their mowers, but my snowblower has taken a turn for the worst and ego is the only company that offers a two-stage electric snowblower (that I know of), So I was thinking about going with their platform instead. Just looking for some real world experience before I sink the cash into the EGO platform.

I have owned Ego since they first came out in 2014 (I think that was the date).  We have tested a wide range of OPE products and so far, Ego has been the best hands down.  While Ego has a bunch of great new mowers on the market, I still have my first generation that I love and it's running strong.  The others are nice and have a bigger deck, but mine is lightweight and does the job.  The new ones have a little more power but still sold on the first gen for me.

All the accessories such as string trimmer, chain saw, hedger and edger are also top of the line with the blower being head and shoulders above the rest.  For string trimmer, I have the ST1521S and love it.

For batteries, I still have the same batteries when I first got the first gen mower and they are running string.  Yes I have more since I have more Ego, but since the old batteries are still running strong, that says a lot about the battery technology

In regards to snow blower, I have the 2 stage and it works great.  I know some people complain about the run time, but it's more than enough to do my driveway, walkway and my neighbors.  Sure it depends upon the size of the area, how heavy the snow is (Fluffy or wet snow) and how many inches.  I have used mine in a light snow, maybe 2" of light snow and works like a champ.  I also used it in a 6" snow and worked awesome.  No problems at the end of the driveway where the snow piles up from the plows

As you can see I am a huge fan of Ego, they haven't let me down and swear by their stuff.  As of today, they are the top OPE.  I think they own the market.  When it comes to Hedger, I do like the Makita a little better, but other than that, Ego is my choice.

I really appreciate all of your feedback, Eric.  Especially when it comes to the battery life as that was one of my concerns with taking the plunge. 

I got the Ego two stage snowblower just a bit ago and I’m pretty excited. I’m right here on the Illinois/Wisconsin border and we are supposed to get a good deal of snow overnight, so we’ll see how it handles. 

thanks again for your help.

I bought into EGO almost three years ago and currently have the 20" push mower, backpack blower, hedge trimmer, and string trimmer, along with two 5.0Ah and a few 2.0Ah and 2.5Ah batteries.  One of my 5.0Ah batteries is a bit questionable but I always chalk it up to user error/miscalculation (it seems to die quicker than my other batteries, but it could due to me not charging it fully or using it in the mower after it's been used in other tools).  The site now shows a 46" ZTR mower that's being released soon!  With my pending retirement to a nice warm locale that prompted me to buy a riding mower only weeks after investing in a push mower when I first moved there, the EGO ZTR is now on my watch list...

In terms of quality, I think that they are on par with power tool brands like DeWalt and Milwaukee.  This may seem like an apples to oranges comparison, but the fitment of the batteries, quality of materials, ergonomics, and innovations are not dissimilar from what we'd expect from a top-tier tool manufacturer nowadays.

The mower takes some getting used to, as it will bog down and shut off if cutting tall and/or wet grass if used in mulch mode.  My workaround is to simply listen to it, if the motor sounds like it's straining, I'll pop a wheelie and give it a chance to build up blade speed and jettison some clippings.  I don't use the chute because it gets clogged too easily, the bag fills up quickly and you have to have a place to empty it, and the plastic deck requires washing after use, or waiting until the clipping dry and scraping them off.  

The blower is outstanding and one of my favorite OPE tools to use.  I usually cheat, though, and use it in conjunction with my big DeWalt blower.

The strong trimmer is easily the best EGO product I own.  It will eat up almost anything, and the automatic string loading feature makes adding string almost fun.

I haven't used the hedge trimmer much, but it is definitely more powerful and a better design than the DeWalt 20v Max trimmer I own.  A good friend almost lost a finger to the DeWalt a few years ago as it allows single-handed operation.  The EGO requires two hands or a Darwinian workaround.

• Like 1

I own a fair bit of Ego. 8 residential batteries, one commercial battery, two powerhead motor units with various attachments, commercial string trimmer, brushed hedge trimmer, 530 cfm blower, 650 cfm blower, and the gen one single stage snow blower. I mow to make a living so everything gets a good amount of use. The quality is ok. The main thing to fail on ego products are the electronics. Otherwise the materials and craftsmanship typically don't fail unless the part is designed to wear. I have broken the string trimmer head on my power head string trimmer attachment but that was only due to I literally wore through the plastic from heavy use. I have no intentions to get the 2 stage. I feel like I would be disappointed. Single stage snowblowers get so much cleaner, and you can remove snow faster if it is a small enough snow. The most disappointing tool I own is the brushed hedge trimmer. While the runtime on it is incredible especially for being brushed, my main complaint I have with it is it can be underpowered at times. Lack of power will stall it out more often than I would like. I picked up the articulated hedge trimmer attachment for the power head and it is a night and day difference in terms of power. I am extremely pleased with the power of the power head hedge trimmer.

• Like 1

We got hit with the same storm system as Eric this past weekend.  It was a good 10 inches of fairly heavy snow with drifts that went over a foot in some places. I have the equivalent of an eight car driveway and the Ego two stage snowblower was able to clear the driveway and piled up gunk at the end of the driveway from the snow plows before the batteries died.  I did a good job clearing the snow and it had plenty of power, which was one of my concerns.

While I would have liked to of been able to clear some snow from the yard so the dogs actually had a place that they could walk without waiting the hour and a half or so for the batteries to charge, it wasn’t much of a hassle to wait and I didn’t end up smelling like exhaust when I came back into the house.

@JronmanI hear you about the speed of removing the snow with a single stage, but I’m getting older and the single stage I have been using is a real pain when trying to clear the packed snow plow gunk at the end of my driveway. It takes little more to maneuver the two stage, but it is well worth the trade-off as it makes removing the heavy stuff so much easier.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, fm2176 said:

The strong trimmer is easily the best EGO product I own.  It

Are you talking about the 15"? I hated it, or should I say, it didn't work for me 😆...

Torque is excellent but rotation speed is low. It works wonder against hard stuff but dense, healthy grass tends to bend without getting cut. If you are used to gas trimmers (my previous one was a husqvarna 525lk) that's perhaps where you'll notice the biggest difference.

The blowers are excellent!

Mowers... well they are decent. My gen2 mower lacks lift, cut quality isn't the best, its self-propelled mechanism takes some time to get used to. Despite all its quirks, it is surprisingly pleasant to use and does a good job even in difficult conditions. Haven't tested the gen3 but I have read that many issues from gen2 have been addressed/improved.

6 hours ago, Jronman said:

The latest string trimmer from ego has a bit more rpm but it is still lower than a gas unit.

Possible.... the carbon shaft version has not been released in Europe so I have not tested it. My favorite ego trimmer is the attachment capable version.

13 hours ago, stefcl100 said:

Possible.... the carbon shaft version has not been released in Europe so I have not tested it. My favorite ego trimmer is the attachment capable version.

According to the manual the PowerLoad string trimmer is 4000-5800 no load rpm. I think a smaller gas unit will do up to 7000 no load rpm depending on the unit. Bigger gas units I have heard can do up to 10,000 or more no load rpm.

• 4 weeks later...

Ego tools are really well made and a pleasure to use on the whole. I have a mower, multiple batteries, shears and multi-tool kit with a range of attachments and I am very happy with the. The only downside is that the tools most definitely do not match petrol for power, despite the marketing. Particularly the Brushcutter. Bizarrely my little 32v Black n Decker strimmer outperforms my Ego line trimmer for power and performance. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, stefcl100 said:

@JronmanSince you own both, how powerful is the commercial trimmer compared to the power head? Is there a noticeable difference?

I'm going to say the commercial but my memory is a bit rusty when comparing the 2 (I haven't done any string trimming since last fall). My preferred choice in most cases is the commercial. It feels nicer in the hand, the trigger is much better, and the carbon fiber shaft helps to balance out the machine quite nicely. It is more noticeable when a gas unit bogs down than the Ego's. They get tangled and keep on spinning with no noticeable change in motor sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

After reading so many great reviews on EGO mowers I purchased the 56V 2102sp from my local Lowes.  Big Mistake!  It worked great for several weeks and then progressively stopped cutting properly.   It cuts some of the grass but compresses/bends most of it against the soil.  I just finished mowing and can report it required 5-6 passes to completely mow the lawn.  The seed mixture planted is   Fescue, Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass and Annual Ryegrass.  I've tried different deck heights, underhanded mowing techniques.  I've had a mower repairman tell me the blade is very sharp and to be careful handling it.  I've made several calls to EGO and Lowe's with no remedy.  EGO had me send videos and photos, Lowe's says it is obviously broken and is a warrantee issue.  I don't know how you all can rave about what is assuredly the worst mower I've ever owned.  It replaced a 12 year old Snapper that hands down out performed it.  Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?  I hate to just throw it out