Older table saw motor stalling

bradleyheathhays

Just got this 30 year old Craftsman table saw for free because the motor's not spinning, 1HP 110v.  Before sourcing another I'm curious if I can get this one working again.  When you hit the power the motor makes a decent hum and sounds like it's trying to go.  Also there's an quick intermittent screeching that I'm guessing is a bad bearing.  If you take the belt off and spin the pulley it gets up to speed fairly quickly making no unusual sounds or vibration.  The notched arbor protrudes from the opposite side as well and I get the idea I could kick start it with a drill if I could hack together some kind of adapter. 

If I can do say a $20 dollar repair I'd rather do that as opposed to $80+ for a replacement.  Any idea what's gone wrong with this poor old motor?

IMG-0227.JPG

IMG-0234(1).JPG

Well, lesson learned is if it walks like a bad capacitor and talks like a bad capacitor, it very well could be a bad centrifugal start switch...and that's what it turned out to be.  After getting the new cap in it did the same growl no start and after getting it all apart and cleaning the switch it starts like a dream.  Well almost, I have a replacement bearing on the way but after that this 30+ year old motor should run like new.  Thanks for all the direction guys.

• Like 1