Skil 726 Roto Hammer

Jason LaPort

I just bought a 1983 Skil Roto Hammer and I'm wondering what I'm in for. I'd like to know where I can get a manual for it and whats most likely going to need maintenance first before I fire it up. This is the biggest drill I've ever bought and its advertised in good running order but I wont be able to see for myself until it gets here. Also any info on where to get parts and bits would be sweet. I'm a hard rock miner and I plan on abusing this thing a little bit so the more info the better. I'm thinking about going with a drilling steel and replaceable tips. What can I do to get my drilling speed through the rock faster with my vintage toy? Thank for any help and advise. Jason  

Maintenance all depends on the drill and it's condition. It undoubtedly could stand to be opened up, have the dust blown out, and lubed up good.

Replacement parts may be tricky. eReplacement parts usually has damn near every part known to man, but this is a 30 year old drill we're talking about.

As for the manual, I'd email Skil customer service to start. They should either have one, or know where to tell you to look.

Do you have a Bosch service center in your area?

• Like 1

I don't know how much you paid for I hope not too much, but Skil for the most part has been relegated as a value brand by Bosch. Like conductor mentioned parts might be hard to find with it being that old the plus side its probably spline drive so you can still get bits for it. I'm not the biggest rotohammer expert,but you should be able to find bits at most places online. For a manual try searching the model number some one might have scanned it and put in on the internet, or like hit up customer support like conductor also mentioned.

• Like 2

Got it in the mail today. Its not even close to being pretty by any means. I'm definitely gonna clean this as best I can inside and out before I even think about firing it up. I keep hearing the word spline drive, still not sure what thats referring to. I'll try to get it all cleaned up tomorrow and see what she sounds like. Thanx for the advice guys. 

Thanx for the info. I got it cleaned up on the outside but still haven't found a parts diagram that makes me comfortable with taking it apart. Looked like it was rolled in grease an battered in the finest saw dust you can find and then sat in a corner of a dirty, dirt floor garage for the last 20 years. I still dont want to start it without cleaning the inside first. Doesn't look like there's any oil in it either so that makes me wonder just a little bit too. 

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKIL-HEAVY-DUTY-ROTO-HAMMER-DRILL-726-TYPE-8-5-5-AMP-WITH-STORAGE-BOX-AND-MORE-/310744553095?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5%252BQLEHeUwcdMs21kNbhQY9PCFeU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This is the drill that I bought. In one of the pics you can see the shape of the bit is different. It has a narrow part in the bit where a spring clamps onto the bit. I need an adapter with that narrow spot in the bit. Its Hex to SDS that I need but I'm not sure if they make one for my dinosaur of a machine. 

WooHooo back to my boring ol' self tomorrow. The Skil is still alive. The plug in was falling apart. My buddy gave the one prong a little tug and pulled it right out. He checked the brushes, changed the plug and it fired right up. Just as loud as the last time I ran it so hopefully tomorrow is game on until I get my new drill and trade in my other one. I'll have 3 drills within a week to hold me until I save for my hilti

• Like 1