What hand tools do you bring onsite?

boardtorun

Hello there, 

first time poster here. I just wanted to get a feel of what you would recommend I pack with me to the job each day. I know the basics: tape, square hammer, etc. but I do commercial carpentry and frequently will carpool in company trucks. I’ve been criticized by co workers before for bringing so many hand tools to the site (3+ portable tool bags and/or boxes) but nearly everyday our site won’t have things like a sharpies, vise grips, nail set, wire cutters, a level, etc. so I’ve frequently tried to come over prepared. We might do everything from Sheetrock to chipping concrete in a matter of hours so the stuff we use varies a lot. I moved from property management/maintenance about a year ago into construction so I just wanted to see if I’m being stupid here or if these guys have just gotten lazy and don’t want to bring their own stuff...thanks for any insight to a guy relatively new to this. I hope I made sense. 

On 2/12/2021 at 3:21 AM, TerryOS said:

In fact, it all depends on the planned work, but personally I use a working machine and in the trunk I have separate boxes for different tools, the fact that you carry 3+ portable tool bags with you is nothing wrong

Thanks TerryOS! I appreciate the feedback! 

Theres nothing wrong with trying to be prepared but the type of storage can make a big difference too. Trying to lug around 3 mix matched boxes or 3 bags can be a bit cumbersome. If you haven't already, I would recommend converting your storage to either Packout or Tough System then get the appropriate hand cart for it. It keeps your stuff neat and organized and makes transport much easier.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:20 PM, Jronman said:

Theres nothing wrong with trying to be prepared but the type of storage can make a big difference too. Trying to lug around 3 mix matched boxes or 3 bags can be a bit cumbersome. If you haven't already, I would recommend converting your storage to either Packout or Tough System then get the appropriate hand cart for it. It keeps your stuff neat and organized and makes transport much easier.

Thanks Jronman! I have invested in a lot of the packout elements. I can’t imagine trying to go back prior to having that system, especially as often as I’m switching tools out.