First tool compatible with both XGT and LXT?

Jjwillac

This picture got posted on a Makita Facebook group along with a bunch of other new Makita offerings.  I think it's notable that it appears to be compatible with both XGT and LXT, which I think would be a first? Other than the XGT charger that is.  Might change some people's thoughts on the XGT system.  At any rate, its good to know it is a possibility and I hope there are more tools like this coming.  

FB_IMG_1614745164068.jpg

• Like 2

There's been some clarification on this.  So the entire backpack appears to be its own battery unit (i.e., individual XGT or LXT batteries are not used) that is charged directly. You can get output cords that will attach to either XGT or LXT X2.  So really it isn't compatibility across platforms, just an "accessory" that will work with either platform. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 3:34 AM, Jjwillac said:

There's been some clarification on this.  So the entire backpack appears to be its own battery unit (i.e., individual XGT or LXT batteries are not used) that is charged directly. You can get output cords that will attach to either XGT or LXT X2.  So really it isn't compatibility across platforms, just an "accessory" that will work with either platform. 

It’s already out and available. 3 adapter available, X2 36v, XGT and direct plug in tools. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, ToolBane said:

So a backpack that can power either XGT or LXT X2 tools. Looks like a great option for OPE applications.

And yowzers that is a pretty huge capacity.

Here is nice example of OPE application of this backpack, lawn mower MLM001CZ. This mower isn't using battery packs at all, but backpack clamped on top. 

makita-mlm001cz-005.jpg

makita-mlm001cz-007.jpg

• Like 1

This thing just looks better and better to me the more I look at it. Dewalt has had their power station concept out a few years and Milwaukee has one coming. Guess this is Makita’s (newest) answer.

Instead of charging a giant battery that turns around to charge more batteries, (which adds a layer of inefficiency to your power system,) just have your Hugh Jass battery power your high-draw tools directly, attachable to a backpack if you need to get around with it. Much more efficient, and the current capacity and output will be tremendous for both LXT X2 and XGT tools. This is going WAY past the capacity of the 12Ah batteries Milwaukee and Dewalt have, here.

It doesn’t quite wipe out my desire to see Makita make LXT batteries in the 8-9Ah range...at least not unless they’re also making this capable of powering standard 18V LXT tools as well...but what it does address makes it extremely appealing regardless.

Impossible not to mention, but it would also make for an extremely compelling means to power a cordless table saw, IF Makita has any inkling of releasing one (which I really hope they do). Having that kind of power on tap would blow away all the other offerings currently available. The more I think on it, the more I’m tempted to look at picking this up for my X2 miter saw. Oh yeah.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Ego version and it is ok. It has roughly 300 more watt hours than the Makita. They are reasonably close in charge capacity. It's not officially supported for the larger tools like the mowers and snowblowers. I don't know the price of the Makita but the Ego is not cheap ($1300 usd without charger or tool) but the runtime is great. You will probably go through close to 2 tanks or more of fuel with a gas string trimmer before the battery runs out on the Ego trimmer.

• Like 1