Dcd996 light will not turn off

Curtis

What's the date code on this?  DeWalt has honored its three year warranty for all of my claims, and I've gotten a new DCL040 light, DCB204 battery, DCB102 charger, and DS450 ToughSystem box from warranty claims.

If your drill is not covered under warranty, the easy--albeit less than optimal--solution is to simply remove the battery between uses.  If the light comes on whenever a battery is attached, though, the issue may be mechanical.  The trigger may simply be failing to fully reset turning on the light but not the drill itself.  Maybe try manually pulling the trigger forward to check--a simple burr on the housing could be the cause of this issue.  If the light only comes on when the trigger is pressed and stays on afterward, it's most likely an electrical issue (stuck internal switch, etc.) and would require more in-depth analysis.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Exactly the same issue here on a DCD7781.

" light only comes on when the trigger is pressed and stays on afterward, it's most likely an electrical issue (stuck internal switch, etc.) and would require more in-depth analysis."

Describes it perfectly. This is a brand new unit. Had to buy it mail order and can't be bothered to return it for this particular fault.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, Makwalt said:

Exactly the same issue here on a DCD7781.

" light only comes on when the trigger is pressed and stays on afterward, it's most likely an electrical issue (stuck internal switch, etc.) and would require more in-depth analysis."

Describes it perfectly. This is a brand new unit. Had to buy it mail order and can't be bothered to return it for this particular fault.

That sucks.  I guess there are worse issues, and removing the battery is a simple "fix", but it sure seems that power tool quality is more hit or miss than it should be.  I have an M12 Fuel Gen 2 impact somewhere that has never seen any real use.  I bought it a couple of years ago and on first use found the bit retainer was broken.  One day I might get around to sending it in.  My M18 Fuel 2763 impact had trigger issues within a month or two of purchase and now flaunts the factory repair sticker since I did get around to filing a warranty claim on it.

As professionals and/or consumers, we spend large amounts of money on our favorite brands, many of which tout themselves as "THE" brand to have.  Oddly enough, I've never had an issue with any of my Ryobi tools, but I'd expect one of them to have an issue before I would one of my Milwaukee or DeWalt tools.  Instead, it's the latter two brands that have seen me have to submit claims or simply toss a tool aside due to an issue.  

This drill was produced in Czech Rep. at first and now they are all made in China, I am talking about DCD996. There is a huge difference in assembly quality between China and Czech Rep. I have opened one of these to fix and also a brushed 3 speed DeWALT drill and I could see the difference. I think some of the DCD997 are produced in Italy probably for Italian market only. I will try to get one. 

• Like 1