Are Japanese Tools Better? (AvE)

fm2176

Does this tear down really surprise any of us?  Most of the cordless tools we use in North America these days are designed to do the job at the lowest possible cost.  DeWalt drill stopped drilling within three years of purchase?  Send it back for repair or replacement.  Milwaukee Sawzall not sawing?  Same thing, only you have five years of warranty.  Out of warranty, or damaged due to abuse or neglect?  A quick trip to the local big box will net a replacement for a couple hundred dollars or less, a trip to the supply house or hardware store may cost a slight bit more.

I lack AvE's tear down analysis skills, but comparing today's mass-produced tools to those of yesteryear seems to point towards a higher quality product back when DeWalt and Milwaukee made tools in the US.  I have older tools inherited from my dad that just seem...better made than the plastic cordless wonders I now possess.  Ergonomics, performance, ease-of-use, safety?  There's no comparison--my modern tools are much better in those categories than the mostly metal tools my dad worked with.  DeWalt proudly puts the "Made in USA" label on the products they make here, but the disclaimer "With Global Materials" shows that these tools are no better than the sum of their parts, many of which are likely the cheapest available for import.  I know it would be difficult if not impossible for a company to source all US made (or even North American made) parts, but if DeWalt or Milwaukee released a line of truly domestically produced tools, they'd be on my short list of "must buy" tools.