Converting a regrigerator

bradleyheathhays

I'd like to convert a regular sized refrigerator by cutting out the divide between the freezer and fridge compartments so that the whole thing maintains the same temp. Additionally, I'd I'd like to modify it so that it maintains between 50-60 deg F. Only problem is I don't know enough about how fridges work to know if it's possible. Anyone have advice on getting something like this done?

• Like 1

Most 'fridge models locate the shared cooling plate (w/ the Freon) between the freezer and the refrigerator compartments, providing greater cold surface area for a smaller volume to make the freezer colder.

Even if the other physical barriers are removed, that cold plate is still a physical barrier, so the freezer area will always be colder.

It may be possible to decrease the thermal stratification by adding internal circulation fans to move air between the compartments.

The thermostat monitors / regulates the temperature on one compartment, for single compressor systems (most 'fridges) and the setpoint range will not permit selection of 50°F to 60°F. Depending on the thermostat, I have had success by physical modification to shift the range. In my case I added a spacer to the capillary tube sensing path.

• Like 1