M18 2704 1/2 Hammer Brushless Clicking/grinding when triggered fast

Parz1val

First post here! Hi everyone, I have the listed drill in the title. I bought it new a few years ago and it started the problem within a week or so of owning it. I pushed it aside and never took it for warranty....yeah I know... Anyway, I found it in one of my boxes and decided to take a look into it. So what happens is if you immediately go full trigger you will get a slow grinding/clicking noise. This also slows the drill down. then a couple seconds later it goes away and drill is up to full speed. If you roll onto the trigger slowly, it does NOT happen. This sounds like a clutch to me from my automotive backround. I Tore the drill down inspected all the gears and bearings (that C-clip was annoying to get back on) everything looked good. Put it all back together regreased and cleaned, same issue. Listening more closely to the drill the sound seems to come from the motor itself. Or it could just be echoing through the tool, idk. This happens with the chuck on or off the tool.

When the grinding/clicking is happening, the light on the front of the drill flickers matching the clicks. I have a video of it happening I can upload if that would help identify it. Thanks for any help!